• The Pretender

From fusion@21:1/616 to All on Sun Jul 23 06:09:20 2023
    SSS
    S
    SSS
    S
    SSS ince I missed a lot of good shows when they were first aired, I've been going back and watching a lot of them when I can. I watched Quantum Leap last year, and jumping quite a bit further back in time, Hart to Hart earlier this year. I really enjoy shows that have a lot of people in them that might not have been famous yet.

The Pretender is kind of fun because it's quite a bit closer to when I was a teenager, and now I recognize a ton of the people from newer shows. For example, the kid that plays young Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequel is in a few episodes. Or Louis Ferreira, which I knew from Stargate Universe, or Jeffrey Donovan, who was in Burn Notice.

The show itself is pretty great imo. Though it's a bit rough when you think about how nowadays, and perhaps even at the time, it'd be hard for the main character to not be recognized by basically everyone.

If you haven't watched the show, the premise is that the main character Jarod was specially raised from childhood by some shadowy company to both predict the outcomes of various complex scenarios, and also impersonate just about every profession. I guess if you can get into the minds of people and basically be them, you can predict how they act. Or something.

Anyways, he ends up finding out his scenarios actually result in people getting hurt so he goes on the run. Episodes usually consist of him helping people with his special skillset, as a doctor, a soldier, fireman, whatever.. often solving a crime, and then culminate with him narrowly escaping the 'baddies' at the last second.

I'm watching on Amazon Prime. (but limetorrents also has it ..)

If you have other recommendations for shows with rotating guest stars like this, I'd definitely like to check them out.

And no, not Love Boat.. lol

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From Ewing@21:3/153 to fusion on Sun Jul 23 21:48:58 2023
    SSS ince I missed a lot of good shows when they were first aired, I've been going back and watching a lot of them when I can. I watched Quantum Leap last year, and jumping quite a bit further back in time, Hart to Hart earlier this year. I really enjoy shows that have a lot of people in them that might not have been famous yet.

Thanks for the heads up - I completely forgot about The Pretender but absolutely loved it when I watched it as a teenager.

I've just watched the first episode again and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I might need to look at Quantum Leap again too!
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Mortal BBS - mortalbbs.com - Blue Mountains, AU (21:3/153)