• Star Trek Discovery S5

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun Apr 7 16:24:24 2024
    Watched the first two episodes, it felt forced and a bit over the top... especially the first episode.. I wish they did complete episodic shows for this show but instead another single, long story over 10 episodes or so... meh ... I do think the more episode / monster / etc. of the week approach that they have (mostly) gone back to in Strange New Worlds in much nicer.

Back to Discovery (disco)

Without giving the plot away it looks like a scavenger hunt, dull... and as always, save the universe stuff. ... starting to feel dull... and long goodbyes and then hellos ... and well... dull...

Production values and sfx all good but yeah, I liked disco for the seasons it's had, and appreciate all it's done to get more Trek on our screens but so far this final outing just is not gelling with me as yet. I'll watch it as I want to see what happens etc. but am I hanging out for episode 3... no. sadly I'm not :(

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From SirRonmit@21:2/120 to Avon on Sun Apr 7 09:33:45 2024
    Watched the first two episodes, it felt forced and a bit over the top... especially the first episode.. I wish they did complete episodic shows
    for this show but instead another single, long story over 10 episodes or

I am glad I'm not the only one. It was like: TheyJustHadToPutSoMuchDialogIntoASingleSceneWithoutAddingPauses
    when they could have made these 90 mins episodes and let us enjoy it.

--
    Timothy Norris aka SirRonmit
    admin@f4fbbs.com
    bbs.f4fbbs.com:2323 or :62323

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Files 4 Fun BBS (21:2/120)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Sun Apr 7 08:54:00 2024
    Avon wrote to All <=-

Watched the first two episodes, it felt forced and a bit over the
    top... especially the first episode.. I wish they did complete episodic shows for this show but instead another single, long story over 10 episodes or so... meh ... I do think the more episode / monster / etc.
    of the week approach that they have (mostly) gone back to in Strange
    New Worlds in much nicer.

I do like the actor who plays Rayner. The moral dilemmas that pitted
    Burnham against him felt forced, and it feels a bit like "let's bring
    the cast back together for one last season".

I think the problem was that I really liked Strange New Worlds, with
    its more episodic approach, and a season-long scavenger hunt is going
    to lose my interest as well.

I think I just hate 32nd century tech.

... The Tour de France is held in Malaysia.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to SirRonmit on Mon Apr 8 12:40:05 2024
    On 07 Apr 2024 at 09:33a, SirRonmit pondered and said...

I am glad I'm not the only one. It was like: TheyJustHadToPutSoMuchDialogIntoASingleSceneWithoutAddingPauses
    when they could have made these 90 mins episodes and let us enjoy it.

yep and yeap :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From Avon@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Apr 8 12:42:14 2024
    On 07 Apr 2024 at 08:54a, poindexter FORTRAN pondered and said...

I think the problem was that I really liked Strange New Worlds, with
    its more episodic approach, and a season-long scavenger hunt is going
    to lose my interest as well.

I think I just hate 32nd century tech.

you'd think by the time they rolled around to the 32nd century they would have mastered the ability to write better plots :)

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Avon on Wed Apr 10 08:47:59 2024
    Re: Star Trek Discovery S5
    By: Avon to All on Sun Apr 07 2024 04:24 pm

Watched the first two episodes, it felt forced and a bit over the top... especially the first episode.. I wish they did complete episodic shows for this show but instead another single, long story over 10 episodes or so... meh ... I do think the more episode / monster / etc. of the week approach that they have (mostly) gone back to in Strange New Worlds in much nicer.

I also tend to like a more episodic approach. With a whole-season story, it feels like they just did one thing for the whole season.. However, I actually like the story they've chosen for this, and I don't think it's too over the top. I think it's interesting that they're continuing a story from a Next Generation episode and will be exploring more of that.

Without giving the plot away it looks like a scavenger hunt, dull... and as always, save the universe stuff. ... starting to feel dull... and long

I feel like it's more of solving a mystery, rather than saving the unvierse.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)