• Stargazing News - April 8th, 2024

From cj@21:2/156 to All on Sun Apr 7 17:55:42 2024
    New Moon and Total Solar Eclipse (midday)

The new moon of Monday, April 8, 2024 will generate another Great American Total Solar Eclipse, following the previous one on August 21, 2017. This eclipse will occur along a 112 mile (180 km) wide track running across Mexico and eastern North America, giving lucky observers with sunny skies and eclipse glasses a chance to see the spectacle in the afternoon. Parts of San Antonio, Austin, Waco, Fort Worth, and all of Dallas will experience totality – the latter for 3m53s. From there the eclipse will cross
    parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio – giving Indianapolis and Cleveland a show at 19:06 UT or 3:07 p.m. and 19:14 UT or 3:14 p.m. EDT, respectively. The path will cover most of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, providing totality to observers around Niagara Falls and Buffalo, NY. After Sherbrooke, Quebec sees 3m26s of totality, the moon’s shadow will cross northern Maine, then central New Brunswick and the western half of Prince Edward Island. The eclipse centre line will pass c
    lose to Channel-Port aux Basques at 5:09 p.m. Newfoundland Time and then sweep through central Newfoundland until it reaches the Atlantic Ocean at Bonavista, NFLD at 5:15 p.m. NT. The moon’s shadow will lift off the Earth in the North Atlantic Ocean at 19:53 UT – a total trip time of 3h14m. A partial solar eclipse will be visible from Hawaii, across North America (except Alaska), Central America, and the northern edge of South America. Proper eclipse glasses will be required when any amount of the sun i
    s visible, even for those on the total eclipse track. This eclipse will occur one day after perigee, generating large tides worldwide and also lengthening totality due to the increased size of the moon.

(Data courtesy of Starry Night)
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: CJ's Place, Orange City FL > cjsplace.thruhere.net (21:2/156)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to cj on Wed Apr 10 20:43:37 2024
    On 07 Apr 2024 at 05:55p, cj pondered and said...

New Moon and Total Solar Eclipse (midday)

The new moon of Monday, April 8, 2024 will generate another Great
    American Total Solar Eclipse, following the previous one on August 21,

Looks like where I live will have the same kind of thing happening in 4 years time... so that's something to look forward to :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)