• Northern Lights?

From n2qfd@21:1/154 to All on Sun Mar 24 18:28:51 2024
    Hello All,
    Looking for any reports for the Aurora Borealis.
    SWPC.NOAA.GOV is predicting a severe geomagnetic storm coming in. Planetary Index spiked to an eight 6 hours ago.
    I'm in North American/North East/New York. So any Southern hemisphere users/eastern hemisphere users got anything?
    We're clear skies in Elmira now and hope to have that as the sun goes down. Wondering if it will linger enough in intensity to have the lights.
    Always noticed on the amateur radio a flutter in SSB Voice like people were talking into a fan when the lights were strong in years past.

Ok,
    best 73 and hope someone gets to see it again.

--------------------------------
    ][ de N2QFD ][
    ][ Queen City BBS ][
    ][ queencitybbs.ddns.net:607 ][

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to all on Mon Mar 25 06:47:19 2024
    From Spaceweather.com 25MAR2024

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM--THE STRONGEST IN YEARS: As predicted, a CME struck Earth's magnetic field on March 24th (1437 UT). The impact opened a crack in our planet's magnetosphere and sparked a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm--the strongest geomagnetic storm since Sept. 2017.

The timing of the CME did *not* favor observers in Europe or the United States. Instead, New Zealand got the light show:
    https://spaceweathergallery2.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=204919

"I woke up early and, when I saw that a storm was underway, jumped out of bed and raced to my favourite viewing spot at Hoopers Inlet," says photographer Ian Griffin. "The beautiful aurora australis was easily visible despite clouds and bright moonlight." an Griffin on March 25, 2024 @ Hoopers Inlet, Otago Peninsula, South Island New Zealand

We'll have to be content with a big moon up here in New York!

--------------------------------
    ][ de N2QFD ][
    ][ Queen City BBS ][
    ][ queencitybbs.ddns.net:607 ][

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)