• Newsgroups & Mystic

From Matt Ianson@21:3/185 to All on Sun May 19 19:57:21 2024
    Hi All

When setting up message bases in Mystic, there is a referenc eto "base type" of newsgroup.

Does Mystic have support for newsgroups / connecting into usenet groups to receive / send messages? (ie in the same way that Syncro with newslink or cnet (built in).

I used to UUCP mail back in the day to have newsgroups avialabel to users. Sure, users can just fire up a news reader and access through that - kind of neat to be able to do it via the BBS..

Cheers!

... Classic: A book which people praise but don't read. - Mark Twain

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Origin: retroverse.au - 21:3/185 (21:3/185)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to Matt Ianson on Sun May 19 11:05:54 2024
    When setting up message bases in Mystic, there is a referenc eto "base type" of newsgroup.

Does Mystic have support for newsgroups / connecting into usenet groups
    to receive / send messages? (ie in the same way that Syncro with
    newslink or cnet (built in).

Sure does! You need to do 2 things:
    1: Find a hub that will feed you the newsgroups. There's an add in the
    Fidonet group "Othernet" from Nick Andre at 1:229/426. Netmail him for more details.

2: Setup your requested newsgroups in the appropriate message area using the newsgroup base type.

Then you just poll whoever your hub is.

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    altairiv.ddns.net:2323

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to ogg on Mon May 20 07:03:34 2024
    On 19 May 2024 at 11:05a, ogg pondered and said...

When setting up message bases in Mystic, there is a referenc eto "bas type" of newsgroup.

Does Mystic have support for newsgroups / connecting into usenet grou to receive / send messages? (ie in the same way that Syncro with newslink or cnet (built in).

Sure does! You need to do 2 things:
    1: Find a hub that will feed you the newsgroups. There's an add in the

or check the docs in the fsxnet info pack and get a feed from the 1/10 hub.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Matt Ianson on Mon May 20 08:31:25 2024
    On 19 May 2024 at 07:57p, Matt Ianson pondered and said...

Does Mystic have support for newsgroups / connecting into usenet groups
    to receive / send messages? (ie in the same way that Syncro with
    newslink or cnet (built in).

Mystic does not have direct support to poll a NNTP server and import/export newsgroups from it's message bases.

The 'Newsgroup' base type simply ensures that messages posted to the group come from 'All' which is more to do with convention.

As others have suggested what you can do is find a service that will gate newsgroups <> FTN packets that Mystic (or any other BBS software) can import/export from their message bases.

In the case of fsxNet there's a NNTP server news.bbs.nz that is polled by a gatway at 21:1/10 Usenet + Games HUB... have a read in the infopack for the fsx-use.txt or on fsxnet.nz and look for Usenet info.

Hope this helps :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From TheNerd@21:1/230 to ogg on Sun May 19 22:12:48 2024
    1: Find a hub that will feed you the newsgroups. There's an add in the Fidonet group "Othernet" from Nick Andre at 1:229/426. Netmail him for more details.

I use this feed, it seems pretty solid to me. He seem to have access to a large number of them and can autorequest more if you areafix them. Be wary though.. linking your msg bases can take a while if you go high capacity. I did unlimited on a couple and basically got mail bombed. Took forever to link them all. bogged me down to a crawl... However. I gotta say, a credit to nick for having the capacity to handle it. I doubt he would suggest getting yourself in that position for eveyones sake lol.

2: Setup your requested newsgroups in the appropriate message area using the newsgroup base type.

What does this actually do? I realized that they are just set up as normal echomail bases here. they seem to work, I've posted without issue. I don't see anything in the docs about it yet ;)

Jim

-- NerdRage BBS - SysOp: TheNerd
    -- telnet: nerdragebbs.ddns.net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: NerdRage BBS -.- telnet: nerdragebbs.ddns.net (21:1/230)
  • From Matt Ianson@21:3/185 to Avon on Mon May 20 15:37:40 2024
    Hi Avon

Thanks for the info..

As others have suggested what you can do is find a service that will gate newsgroups <> FTN packets that Mystic (or any other BBS software) can import/export from their message bases.

Cool. Is this something one could be running on their own system?

In the case of fsxNet there's a NNTP server news.bbs.nz that is polled

I presently connect to Clearing Houz for FXSNet - if I wasnt able to run my own NNTP server and gateway to FTN, can I connect to yours (not sure if that causes a complication with currently getting FSX from clearing houz).

Cheers!

... Nine times out of ten the statisticians are wrong

• From deon@21:2/116 to Matt Ianson on Mon May 20 22:01:08 2024
    Re: Re: Newsgroups & Mystic
    By: Matt Ianson to Avon on Mon May 20 2024 03:37 pm

Howdy,

I presently connect to Clearing Houz for FXSNet - if I wasnt able to run my own NNTP server and gateway to FTN, can I connect to yours (not sure if that causes a complication with currently getting FSX from clearing houz).

It shouldnt cause any complications - as long as you dont cross link any echos :) (which sometimes happens...)

I was thinking of adding usenet to clrghouz, ie: you'd collect/send messages via FTN, and clrghouz would post/retrieve it via NNTP. But I thought that usenet was full of spam and dying? If there is interest, I might have a crack at it...

...лоеп
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to TheNerd on Mon May 20 07:12:19 2024
    2: Setup your requested newsgroups in the appropriate message area usi
    the newsgroup base type.

What does this actually do? I realized that they are just set up as normal echomail bases here. they seem to work, I've posted without
    issue. I don't see anything in the docs about it yet ;)

I never gave it a thought! So many things to configure that I just "followed the rules."

Scott

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/12 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to deon on Mon May 20 18:00:22 2024
    Hello deon,

On Mon, May 20 2024 17:01:08 +0000, you wrote:

I was thinking of adding usenet to clrghouz, ie: you'd collect/send messages via FTN, and clrghouz would post/retrieve it via NNTP. But I thought that usenet was full of spam and dying? If there is interest, I might have a crack at it...

Very much so (full of spam and dying), but it seems the interest (for some) to carry it is still there, I suppose. :)

Regards,
    Nick

... Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.
    --- slrn/pre1.0.4-9 (Linux)
    * Origin: _thePharcyde distribution system (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Accession on Tue May 21 13:15:07 2024
    On 20 May 2024 at 06:00p, Accession pondered and said...

Very much so (full of spam and dying), but it seems the interest (for some) to carry it is still there, I suppose. :)

I think it's much better since Google de-peered a while ago. I've noticed over all volumes of spam traffic into news.bbs.nz have dropped a lot.

But it is hit and miss subject to which newsgroup(s) you go looking into... there's still some good signal/noise ratios to be found.

I'm a sucker to older tech and Usenet for all it's ups and downs still finds favour in my heart :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Matt Ianson on Tue May 21 13:17:07 2024
    On 20 May 2024 at 03:37p, Matt Ianson pondered and said...

I presently connect to Clearing Houz for FXSNet - if I wasnt able to run my own NNTP server and gateway to FTN, can I connect to yours (not sure
    if that causes a complication with currently getting FSX from clearing houz).

You're more than welcome to pull a feed from the 21:1/10 HUB we have running in fsxNet that offers the gated FTN packets your BBS could read etc.

If you opt to pick this up please email me or netmail me when you have set up your end (check fsx-use.txt) and I'll enable your node at the HUB.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Tue May 21 07:13:00 2024
    Avon wrote to Accession <=-

But it is hit and miss subject to which newsgroup(s) you go looking into... there's still some good signal/noise ratios to be found.

Here's my plug for alt.folklore.computers. Lots of old Big Iron and
    early PC talk.

... Knock-Knock jokes are illegal in Poland.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From pweck@21:3/113 to Avon on Tue May 21 10:17:57 2024
    On 21 May 2024, Avon said the following...

On 20 May 2024 at 03:37p, Matt Ianson pondered and said...

I presently connect to Clearing Houz for FXSNet - if I wasnt able to my own NNTP server and gateway to FTN, can I connect to yours (not su if that causes a complication with currently getting FSX from clearin houz).

You're more than welcome to pull a feed from the 21:1/10 HUB we have running in fsxNet that offers the gated FTN packets your BBS could read etc.

If you opt to pick this up please email me or netmail me when you have
    set up your end (check fsx-use.txt) and I'll enable your node at the HUB.

Avon, i have sent email and netmail to you about applying for usenet. just wondering on the timeframe to get setup for that.

thanks,
    Pweck

... Classic: A book which people praise but don't read. - Mark Twain

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Pweck's Retreat BBS (21:3/113)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to pweck on Wed May 22 12:08:20 2024
    On 21 May 2024 at 10:17a, pweck pondered and said...

Avon, i have sent email and netmail to you about applying for usenet.
    just wondering on the timeframe to get setup for that.

what netmail address did you sent it to? I'm not sure I have seen this.

• From pweck@21:3/113 to Avon on Tue May 21 14:37:06 2024
    Avon, i have sent email and netmail to you about applying for usenet. just wondering on the timeframe to get setup for that.

what netmail address did you sent it to? I'm not sure I have seen this.

i sent it to the one listed in the fsx-use.txt, 21:1/101
    also sent an email to avon@bbs.nz

thanks

... Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

• From Matt Ianson@21:3/185 to pweck on Wed May 22 23:26:01 2024

I've done the same as well - not sure if you have received? I havent sent one to your email, but did email you a few weeks ago asking for a password reset at the agency as well :)

... A house is a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff

• From Avon@21:1/101 to pweck on Thu May 23 09:25:14 2024
    On 21 May 2024 at 02:37p, pweck pondered and said...

don't think I saw the netmail, but have got the email, will reply tonight my time.

• From pweck@21:3/113 to Avon on Wed May 22 15:16:04 2024

don't think I saw the netmail, but have got the email, will reply
    tonight my time.

thanks!

... "I am" is the shortest sentence in English. Is 'I do' the longest?

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Matt Ianson on Thu May 23 14:13:40 2024
    On 22 May 2024 at 11:26p, Matt Ianson pondered and said...

I've done the same as well - not sure if you have received? I havent
    sent one to your email, but did email you a few weeks ago asking for a password reset at the agency as well :)

Thinking this is for me? Hmm OK thanks Matt will check tonight. It's been a busy few weeks for me so I'll try to focus some time this evening to play catch-up on my admin duties.