• Mystic FTP server?

From paulie420@21:2/150 to All on Sat May 18 17:55:34 2024
    Does anyone run a Mystic BBS FTP server that I can checkout????

I'm thinking about putting the 2oFB File Archives on FTP, per a few users requests, and trying to decide if I should run it right through Mystic - or run some other solution...

If you have yer File Conferences on FTP can I have an account and take a peek???

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From neoshock@21:1/150 to paulie420 on Sat May 18 18:35:49 2024

You can check out mine if you like. user/pass guest/guest will let you view the FTP, just no downloads. you can log into the BBS and setup an account and I can also give you download access if you like

* Origin: Vintage Pi BBS vintagepi.asuscomm.com (21:1/150)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to paulie420 on Sun May 19 18:11:23 2024
    Hello paulie420!

On 18 May 2024, paulie420 said the following...

Yep, try guest:guest@scbbs.nsupdate.info:61021.

Not much in the local file areas, but the file echos (e.g. FSX_ARTS) are there, and allow for downloading.

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to paulie420 on Sun May 19 23:24:38 2024
    I'm thinking about putting the 2oFB File Archives on FTP, per a few users requests, and trying to decide if I should run it right through Mystic - or run some other solution...

Thanks to neoshock and zip - both allowed me to view the FTP server and yea... it's pretty awesome; thinking of putting the huge 2oFB archives up on FTP - thanks for sharing!!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Zip@21:1/202 to paulie420 on Mon May 20 15:23:23 2024
    Hello paulie420!

Thanks to neoshock and zip - both allowed me to view the FTP server and yea... it's pretty awesome; thinking of putting the huge 2oFB archives
    up on FTP - thanks for sharing!!

That would be some retro archive for sure! =)

Best regards
    Zip

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to Zip on Mon May 20 10:14:20 2024
    Thanks to neoshock and zip - both allowed me to view the FTP server a yea... it's pretty awesome; thinking of putting the huge 2oFB archive up on FTP - thanks for sharing!!

That would be some retro archive for sure! =)

You know... I actually prefer perusing a retro file collection ON the BBS - like literally, hands down, I can 'get more' done by using a TG/RG/Mystic-like file system. Since files are mostly retro, you can dig in... read .txt/.doc/etc files, blow up the archives and even see what cool historical nuggets (bbstros, cracks, etc) might be in some random .ARJ that hasn't been opened for 20 years... but I've had several users REALLY wanting to be able to download in a different way.

At one point I looked at creating scripts/MPL that would allow a user to archive up a complete XXGB amount of data and D/L one file - but at that point you really need a current method of pulling the data down... FTP is much faster, and still offers SOME of the vintage - if only it read FILE_ID.DIZs!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Zip@21:1/202 to paulie420 on Mon May 20 22:02:36 2024
    Hello paulie420!

On 20 May 2024, paulie420 said the following...

BBS - like literally, hands down, I can 'get more' done by using a TG/RG/Mystic-like file system. Since files are mostly retro, you can dig in... read .txt/.doc/etc files, blow up the archives and even see what cool historical nuggets (bbstros, cracks, etc) might be in some random

I second that!

point you really need a current method of pulling the data down... FTP
    is much faster, and still offers SOME of the vintage - if only it read FILE_ID.DIZs!

Yes, that would be nice... :)

Speaking of that, but in the other direction, I think Mystic will virus scan FTP uploads if Test Uploads = Yes and Test CmdLine etc. is set in the FTP server options, and import FILE_ID.DIZs (my memory is a bit vague on that, though). Scanning might cause timeouts for clients, though.

Best regards
    Zip

• From fusion@21:1/616 to paulie420 on Mon May 20 16:10:27 2024

At one point I looked at creating scripts/MPL that would allow a user to archive up a complete XXGB amount of data and D/L one file - but at that point you really need a current method of pulling the data down... FTP
    is much faster, and still offers SOME of the vintage - if only it read FILE_ID.DIZs!

i'd look into this.. you should be able to automate the creation of a file with descriptions that (good) ftp clients will automatically read.

some examples from the venerable NFTP:

ayukov.com/nftp/screenshots/remote_view.gif ayukov.com/nftp/screenshots/Russian_Ver2.GIF

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Zip on Mon May 20 15:38:47 2024

point you really need a current method of pulling the data down... FT is much faster, and still offers SOME of the vintage - if only it rea FILE_ID.DIZs!

Speaking of that, but in the other direction, I think Mystic will virus scan FTP uploads if Test Uploads = Yes and Test CmdLine etc. is set in
    the FTP server options, and import FILE_ID.DIZs (my memory is a bit
    vague on that, though). Scanning might cause timeouts for clients,
    though.

If I do open an FTP server, I'm not gonna let uploads I don't think... hmmm - thats a toughy cause yea, would be quicker for folks to upload but - I've curated mostly all the data @ 2oFB and I just don't like the thought of an open FTP.... hmmmmm.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Shurato@21:2/148 to paulie420 on Mon May 20 23:57:00 2024

point you really need a current method of pulling the data
    down... FT
    is much faster, and still offers SOME of the vintage - if only
    it rea
    FILE_ID.DIZs!

Speaking of that, but in the other direction, I think Mystic will
    virus
    scan FTP uploads if Test Uploads = Yes and Test CmdLine etc. is set
    in
    the FTP server options, and import FILE_ID.DIZs (my memory is a bit vague on that, though). Scanning might cause timeouts for clients, though.

If I do open an FTP server, I'm not gonna let uploads I don't think... hmmm - thats a toughy cause yea, would be quicker for folks to upload but - I've curated mostly all the data @ 2oFB and I just don't like the thought of an open FTP.... hmmmmm.

Yeah, I originally allowed anon ftp uploads, but that went away fast...
    Windows Defender was working its ass off that day! Now I allow uploads from verified users, which seems to work fine. You could always add a tier of
    users for upload access. For virus scanning, I use f-prot 3.16f for DOS
    virii and Windows Defender scans for Win32+ virii.

--
    Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp,
    ,wss) (Ports 22,23,110,21,119,8080) (ssh login 'bbs' pass 'shsbbs').

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    ---
    * Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (21:2/148)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to paulie420 on Tue May 21 18:56:50 2024
    Hello paulie420!

If I do open an FTP server, I'm not gonna let uploads I don't think... hmmm - thats a toughy cause yea, would be quicker for folks to upload
    but - I've curated mostly all the data @ 2oFB and I just don't like the thought of an open FTP.... hmmmmm.

Yep, that's probably wise...

I only allow uploads to a certain uploads file area here, for curation.

The global Auto Validate ACL is set so that only registered users' uploaded files are auto-validated.

And the global DL Unvalidated ACL is set so that only SysOps can download unvalidated files.

So, guest/unvalidated users can upload files to the uploads file area, but those will not be available to anyone but the SysOp until they have been validated. And still then, they will only be available for download by registered users, until they have been sorted/moved into their desired location, where they can be downloaded by anyone.

Registered users can also upload files to the uploads file area, but as those files are auto-validated, all registered users can download them right away (so that there is no immediate need for SysOp action).

Best regards
    Zip

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to Shurato on Tue May 21 20:18:29 2024
    Yeah, I originally allowed anon ftp uploads, but that went away fast... Windows Defender was working its ass off that day! Now I allow uploads from verified users, which seems to work fine. You could always add a tier of users for upload access. For virus scanning, I use f-prot 3.16f for DOS virii and Windows Defender scans for Win32+ virii.

OMG, LOL - I freaking loved f-prot back in the day, but the ANSi one for BBSes...

Did you see the youtube video about Archie being re-found and put up last week?

Archie is an anonymous FTP search system that was around in the 90s....

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to paulie420 on Wed May 22 06:47:00 2024
    paulie420 wrote to Shurato <=-

Did you see the youtube video about Archie being re-found and put up
    last week?

Archie, Veronica, Jughead... seems comics fans created the early
    internet...

from https://kb.iu.edu/d/aawk

Veronica and jughead are programs for searching Gopher servers. Veronica
    is allegedly short for "Very Easy, Rodent-Oriented, Net-wide Index to Computerized Archives", while jughead is supposed to be an acronym of
    "Jonzy's Universal Gopher Hierarchy Excavation And Display". The names
    are also based on characters from Archie Comics, in connection with
    Archie, a search engine for anonymous FTP.

... Consider transitions
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to paulie420 on Wed May 22 09:52:00 2024

* In a message originally to Shurato, paulie420 said:

Yeah, I originally allowed anon ftp uploads, but that went away
    fast...
    Windows Defender was working its ass off that day! Now I allow
    uploads
    from verified users, which seems to work fine. You could always add
    a
    tier of users for upload access. For virus scanning, I use f-prot
    3.16f
    for DOS virii and Windows Defender scans for Win32+ virii.

OMG, LOL - I freaking loved f-prot back in the day, but the ANSi one for BBSes...

Really? I know what Archie is, I just looked into it a couple of weeks ago
    to see if it was still active and was sad to see it wasn't. I'm glad it's back!

--

---
  • From neoshock@21:1/150 to paulie420 on Tue May 21 09:41:19 2024
    Thanks to neoshock and zip - both allowed me to view the FTP server and yea... it's pretty awesome; thinking of putting the huge 2oFB archives
    up on FTP - thanks for sharing!!

You are welcome, one thing to note though is unlike Syncronet you cannot make sub directories. All of your directories will be in the root directory of the ftp server.

• From neoshock@21:1/150 to paulie420 on Tue May 21 10:05:32 2024
    At one point I looked at creating scripts/MPL that would allow a user to archive up a complete XXGB amount of data and D/L one file - but at that point you really need a current method of pulling the data down... FTP

Back in the day I use to run a scene FTP server. If I remember correctly it was able to read file_diz, and display it when you cd into a directory, or did a "site" command. Back then I was using Windows, and the server was RaidenFTPd. It looks like it is still around. Glftpd does have this function, and many more for linux you may want to look into. You may need to figure out how to add users from your BBS.
    It may be possible as I was able to let group leaders add their members via eggdrop on irc. something you may want to look into.

• From neoshock@21:1/150 to Zip on Tue May 21 10:13:52 2024
    Speaking of that, but in the other direction, I think Mystic will virus scan FTP uploads if Test Uploads = Yes and Test CmdLine etc. is set in
    the FTP server options, and import FILE_ID.DIZs (my memory is a bit
    vague on that, though). Scanning might cause timeouts for clients,
    though.

I don't think you would need to setup the Test Uploads for that. I believe Mystic will read the file_id.diz on uploads. However you can use the test uploads to then add a zip comment like "this file flew through my awesome BBS"

• From Zip@21:1/202 to neoshock on Thu May 23 12:11:14 2024
    Hello neoshock!

On 21 May 2024, neoshock said the following...

I don't think you would need to setup the Test Uploads for that. I
    believe Mystic will read the file_id.diz on uploads. However you can use the test uploads to then add a zip comment like "this file flew through
    my awesome BBS"

Correct! (In my case simply for virus scanning.)

Best regards
    Zip

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 23 21:54:44 2024

Archie, Veronica, Jughead... seems comics fans created the early internet...

from https://kb.iu.edu/d/aawk

Veronica and jughead are programs for searching Gopher servers. Veronica is allegedly short for "Very Easy, Rodent-Oriented, Net-wide Index to Computerized Archives", while jughead is supposed to be an acronym of "Jonzy's Universal Gopher Hierarchy Excavation And Display". The names
    are also based on characters from Archie Comics, in connection with Archie, a search engine for anonymous FTP.

I literally remember using Archie just after BBSes when I had a shell account @ the University of Toledo... I was hot shit, dating a professors daughter and had the HOTNESS internet connectionzzz!!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to Shurato on Thu May 23 21:58:03 2024
    Really? I know what Archie is, I just looked into it a couple of weeks ago to see if it was still active and was sad to see it wasn't. I'm
    glad it's back!

Yea; you can access it @
    https://archie.serialport.org/

The Serial Report is a great YT channel, doing cool retro stuff ACTIVELY.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to neoshock on Thu May 23 22:39:34 2024
    You are welcome, one thing to note though is unlike Syncronet you cannot make sub directories. All of your directories will be in the root directory of the ftp server.

LOL; that might not work for me - my file areas are across many drives, directories, subs, etc... hmmmm.

Will p0ke around - might even change the 2oFB file archive to BE on one ZFS, but that would be a lot more involved...

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to neoshock on Thu May 23 22:40:30 2024
    Back in the day I use to run a scene FTP server. If I remember correctly it was able to read file_diz, and display it when you cd into a
    directory, or did a "site" command. Back then I was using Windows, and
    the server was RaidenFTPd. It looks like it is still around. Glftpd does have this function, and many more for linux you may want to look into.
    You may need to figure out how to add users from your BBS.
    It may be possible as I was able to let group leaders add their members via eggdrop on irc. something you may want to look into.

Thats what I was thinking - since my file archive is so... large, and spread out, I might need to just use some other softwarez as opposed to the built-in Mystic solutions. My file conferences aren't just in ~/mystic/files.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From neoshock@21:1/150 to paulie420 on Fri May 24 01:11:46 2024
    Thats what I was thinking - since my file archive is so... large, and spread out, I might need to just use some other softwarez as opposed to the built-in Mystic solutions. My file conferences aren't just in ~/mystic/files.

If you have already created your file conference in Mystic, then you do not need to to anything, except for maybe going into your file base editor and giving the file bases an ftp name. The ftp server in Mystic is based on your file conference, not what is in the mystic/files dir.

• From Shurato@21:2/148 to paulie420 on Fri May 24 06:45:00 2024

* In a message originally to Shurato, paulie420 said:

Really? I know what Archie is, I just looked into it a couple of
    weeks
    ago to see if it was still active and was sad to see it wasn't. I'm glad it's back!

Yea; you can access it @ https://archie.serialport.org/

The Serial Report is a great YT channel, doing cool retro stuff ACTIVELY.

I hope they open it up to more FTP servers!

--

---
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to paulie420 on Fri May 24 16:27:15 2024
    Hello paulie420!

On 23 May 2024, paulie420 said the following...

LOL; that might not work for me - my file areas are across many drives, directories, subs, etc... hmmmm.

Note that the actual location on disk for the file areas themselves doesn't matter; Mystic knows those details (paths) for each area. But on the FTP, the file areas will appear alongside each other in the root directory (/), and will be shown using their "FTP Name" as configured for each file area. So the FTP Names need to be unique.

Best regards
    Zip

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to paulie420 on Sat May 25 07:38:00 2024
    paulie420 wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I literally remember using Archie just after BBSes when I had a shell account @ the University of Toledo... I was hot shit, dating a
    professors daughter and had the HOTNESS internet connectionzzz!!

Good times! I was at a software company, and we installed a 56k leased
    line to the internet. We had a mail host people would shell to and read
    mail locally, get mail via POP, or just use to connect to the internet.

I think of that office at that time and I hear the Eudora new mail sound
    in my head.

... Don't give Chad a big neural network
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Shurato on Fri May 24 20:03:52 2024
    Yea; you can access it @ https://archie.serialport.org/
    The Serial Report is a great YT channel, doing cool retro stuff ACTIVEL

I hope they open it up to more FTP servers!

I know - I asked them that question and will report here if they reply..

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon May 27 13:48:56 2024
    I literally remember using Archie just after BBSes when I had a shell account @ the University of Toledo... I was hot shit, dating a professors daughter and had the HOTNESS internet connectionzzz!!

Good times! I was at a software company, and we installed a 56k leased line to the internet. We had a mail host people would shell to and read mail locally, get mail via POP, or just use to connect to the internet.

OMG - I remember when POP came out... I had been using all sorts of internet services all via text/shell - man, what OS was I on??? win3.1 I think... thats when BBSing died for me; the moment I saw those graphical windows popping up w/ the internet inside - the FUTURE, baby!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Alonzo@21:1/130 to paulie420 on Fri May 31 13:11:12 2024
    I literally remember using Archie just after BBSes when I had a shell account @ the University of Toledo... I was hot shit,

I started this way too. I had a shell account with the first Internet
    provider in this part of the country. I had a shell account and
    everything was command line driven. It was a lot of fun. I can't
    type very well so I ended up in all sorts of unexpected places. And
    then Microfoft came along and ruined it all.

... Fer sell cheep: BBS spel chekker. Wurks grate.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: From the depths of Bunker 3 (21:1/130)