• Re: Chris de Burgh

From Nightfox@21:1/137 to esc on Wed Jul 26 08:47:56 2023
    Re: Re: Chris de Burgh
    By: esc to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Jul 13 2023 01:08 am

The only band I expect to hear the same in concert as on tape was Rush.
    Something about the way they performed made them sound the closest to
    recording of any band I listened to.

Interestingly, if I see a band and they play exactly what was in their recordings, I get a bit disappointed. I prefer some degree of chaos and improvisation. I can appreciate the attention to detail and the precision required to recreate the album experience, but it's not my preferred idea of live music. To each their own, though!

I don't mind a bit of improvisation at live concerts (and in some cases, it can actually make for some fairly cool versions of songs), but I wouldn't want them to stray too far. Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) said something about that in one of his live performances - He commented something like when recording the intro to Brothers In Arms, the initial few notes didn't come out quite as intended, but he tries to play it like that in live concerts because the music people listen to tends to become a sort of soundtrack for our life, with memories we associate with it, etc.. I'm paraphrasing, but his idea was that he didn't want to stray far from the songs people know and love and come to see him perform.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Jul 26 08:53:18 2023
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Alonzo on Wed Jul 12 2023 07:23 am

The only band I expect to hear the same in concert as on tape was Rush. Something about the way they performed made them sound the closest to recording of any band I listened to.

I've been to a few Rush concerts, and I thought they sounded fairly close to their studio recordings, and I liked that.

There are a couple songs where I tend to prefer the concert version over the studio recording. One of them is "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" from Paul McCartney's 1990 'Tripping the Live Fantastic' concert tour. They did an extended version of it with a long jam in the middle, and I think it just sounds good overall too. Another is The Talking Heads' "Take Me To The River" from their 1984 "Stop Making Sense" tour - They made that one faster and more upbeat in that tour compared to their studio recording.

Another band I like (some of their work, anyway) is Kraftwerk. I haven't been to any of their concerts, but from what I can tell, their live concerts tend to sound pretty much the same as their live recordings (except for some tweaks here and there). It seems that part of their act is that when they play live, they're basically playing audio samples & such from their laptops in much the same way they'd do their studio recordings.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From esc@21:4/173 to Nightfox on Wed Jul 26 20:26:42 2023
    I don't mind a bit of improvisation at live concerts (and in some cases, it can actually make for some fairly cool versions of songs), but I wouldn't want them to stray too far. Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)
    said something about that in one of his live performances - He commented something like when recording the intro to Brothers In Arms, the initial few notes didn't come out quite as intended, but he tries to play it
    like that in live concerts because the music people listen to tends to become a sort of soundtrack for our life, with memories we associate
    with it, etc.. I'm paraphrasing, but his idea was that he didn't want to stray far from the songs people know and love and come to see him
    perform.

I can appreciate that, for sure. For me, though, I prefer a higher degree of going into unknown territory - it makes every show a unique experience. I'm a huge Jimi Hendrix fan and he never played his songs more than once the same way. In a totally different genre, I've always been into Dave Matthews Band and similarly, they go off in different directions on each performance, which I find to be a ton of fun.

But I also know people into that kind of music have an expectation that this is what will take place. As this is my preference, I recall going to see Kings of Leon in Colorado in an open-air venue on a night that was super cold and rainy. They were covered but the audience was getting soaked. The band just played their songs exactly like the records, and everyone in the crowd was cranky already, and I left feeling really pissed, like I could have just listened to the record at home, comfortably, lol.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (21:4/173)
  • From Bf2K+@21:3/171 to Nightfox on Wed Jul 26 23:39:40 2023
    Myself... I prefer to hear a band play their music totally different from
    the album... anything from extended jamming to a complete re-imagination
    of the song. If I want to hear the album, I'll play the album.

Just my $.02

--- RATSoft/FIDO v09.14.95 [JetMail 1.01]
    * Origin: STar Fleet HQ - Atari ST! - bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983 (21:3/171)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Bf2K+ on Thu Jul 27 09:01:32 2023
    By: Bf2K+ to Nightfox on Wed Jul 26 2023 11:39 pm

Myself... I prefer to hear a band play their music totally different from the album... anything from extended jamming to a complete re-imagination of the song. If I want to hear the album, I'll play the album.

I tend to think it's fun to see the band live and see them play the songs we all know and love. I feel like I'm not going to see them to listen to unfamiliar material, as I'm not sure I'd like that or not.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to All on Tue Aug 1 18:47:26 2023
    On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:47:56 -0700
    "Nightfox" (21:1/137) <Nightfox@f137.n1.z21.fidonet> wrote:

By: esc to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Jul 13 2023 01:08 am

The only band I expect to hear the same in concert as on tape
    was Rush. Something about the way they performed made them
    sound the closest to recording of any band I listened to.

Interestingly, if I see a band and they play exactly what was in
    their recordings, I get a bit disappointed. I prefer some degree
    of chaos and improvisation. I can appreciate the attention to
    detail and the precision required to recreate the album
    experience, but it's not my preferred idea of live music. To
    each their own, though!

I don't mind a bit of improvisation at live concerts (and in some
    cases, it can actually make for some fairly cool versions of songs),
    but I wouldn't want them to stray too far. Mark Knopfler (of Dire
    Straits) said something about that in one of his live performances -
    He commented something like when recording the intro to Brothers In
    Arms, the initial few notes didn't come out quite as intended, but he
    tries to play it like that in live concerts because the music people
    listen to tends to become a sort of soundtrack for our life, with
    memories we associate with it, etc.. I'm paraphrasing, but his idea
    was that he didn't want to stray far from the songs people know and
    love and come to see him perform.

That said, he's never played Sultans of Swing the same way twice, ever,
    but it's still an amazing tune whether it's a 4 minute version or a 14
    minute version. A lot of the solos on the early records consisted of
    improvised playing.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)