• AREDN

From bamageek@21:1/140 to ALL on Fri Mar 8 14:11:22 2024
    Hey I've been out of the HAM loop for a while now. Just set my radio back up in my truck and started trying to refaliarize myself with things. Shoot, it took me a few days to remember how to reprogram the radio!

Anyway, I stumbled on a message in a local club group that sparked an interest in my geekey side; The AREDN Mesh! Have any of you had any experience with this technology yet? The group message was talking about the Mikrotik Hap AC Lite routers and some trouble they were having flashing them.

Anyway, I'm just starting to research and dig in but wanted to see if any of you were on the mesh yet and if so what kind of equipment are you running? Also, is it possible/feasible to run a BBS on the mesh?

Dave aka KI4HIJ

... If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Daves BBS (21:1/140)
  • From n2qfd@21:2/150 to bamageek on Sat Mar 9 11:01:42 2024
    Hi Dave,
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I was looking at getting my packet gear running and all the VHF packet out here is gone. So I tried HF packet and the NET105 group is still alive but woof at 300 baud it's hard to take. There was just an FCC Part 97 change that allowed 600BPS so I haven't retooled to try yet but I think that's the next step here.
    I've also been looking at the mesh options. I like the ARDEN concept and I had friends who were playing MESHNET MMHHSS type stuff a decade ago but it all seems to have fallen off. Here I can't seem to get Ham's to believe that our licenses are for operating radio stations, not just talking over the radio so it's been difficult to find anyone who can see using their license to mesh together computers. I do see that there are some counties and areas around NY State that have got it going and Oswego County in particular has a ring around the county which is awesome.
    I think you could do the BBS via ARDEN but that's just because ADREN becomes the carrier vehicle for the IP data.

So you might want to look at New Packet Radio too that's sort of cool https://hackaday.io/project/164092-npr-new-packet-radio

And here's Broadband Hamnet
    http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

I've been looking at Meshtastic too but haven't moved on it. I've been rebuilding a BBS here and so many things, so little time.

Nice to see that you got your station running again.

Best 73 es CUL

de N2QFD..

... Dot walked up to the TV with a bottle of Miller Lite.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From bamageek@21:1/140 to n2qfd on Sun Mar 10 11:06:11 2024
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I was looking at getting my packet gear running and all the VHF packet out here is gone. So I tried HF packet
    So you might want to look at New Packet Radio too that's sort of cool https://hackaday.io/project/164092-npr-new-packet-radio
    Nice to see that you got your station running again.

Hey I was wondering about the packet radio stuff I checked the local APRS frequency and didn't hear any noise there. Still have to dig my old modem out of the shed and see if it still works!

I'll take a look at those links. Tried to get to the hackday.io one but it didn't work but I might have typed it wrong. Been looking at some of the stuff on arednmesh.org but really haven't gotten past looking!

... User Error: Replace user and hit any key to continue...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Daves BBS (21:1/140)