• Packet BBS?

From Lars Kellogg-Stedman@21:1/183 to All on Thu Nov 2 19:08:00 2023
    Has anyone here tried using any of the current crop of BBS software (Synchronet/Mystic/???) as a packet radio BBS? I'm currently trying to
    figure out how much it's possible to strip down mystic to make it work
    at 1200bps (on a good day) w/o any ANSI (or other screen control code)
    support.

Cheers,

-- Lars/N1LKS

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Lars Kellogg-Stedman on Sat Nov 4 20:52:19 2023
    On 02 Nov 2023 at 07:08p, Lars Kellogg-Stedman pondered and said...

Has anyone here tried using any of the current crop of BBS software (Synchronet/Mystic/???) as a packet radio BBS? I'm currently trying to figure out how much it's possible to strip down mystic to make it work
    at 1200bps (on a good day) w/o any ANSI (or other screen control code) support.

I've often wondered/thought about this, no I have not done it but would be interested in how you get on. I recall a suggestion was to use something like Synchronets SEXPOTS to act as the IP/Telnet gateway to the BBS server and perhaps then hook that to AX.25 ? I may be way off here.

I also think doing work on a BBS theme that is ASCII only menus and stripped down to the main things you would want to access over the air (main menu, message menu, login, logoff) would be the way to go.

Best, Paul ZL4PH

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Lars Kellogg-Stedman@21:1/183 to Avon on Fri Nov 10 17:59:00 2023
    Avon wrote to Lars Kellogg-Stedman <=-

I also think doing work on a BBS theme that is ASCII only menus and stripped down to the main things you would want to access over the air (main menu, message menu, login, logoff) would be the way to go.

One of the limitations I'm running into is that BBS software really
    likes "hotkeys" (e.g, prompt responses that don't require a
    carriage return). This is particularly problematic with Synchronet's
    backspace detection; using a typical ax.25 terminal session, there's no way
    to respond appropriately because text isn't sent to the remote until
    after pressing "return", and things like backspace/delete are never
    sent.

... Lars Kellogg-Stedman | larsks@{github, ...} | N1LKS
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Lars Kellogg-Stedman on Wed Nov 15 10:52:43 2023
    Re: Re: Packet BBS?
    By: Lars Kellogg-Stedman to Avon on Fri Nov 10 2023 05:59 pm

Avon wrote to Lars Kellogg-Stedman <=-

One of the limitations I'm running into is that BBS software really
    likes "hotkeys" (e.g, prompt responses that don't require a
    carriage return). This is particularly problematic with Synchronet's backspace detection; using a typical ax.25 terminal session, there's no way to respond appropriately because text isn't sent to the remote until
    after pressing "return", and things like backspace/delete are never
    sent.

The sysop can disable the new-user backspace detection by setting that string (in text.dat or preferably, in v3.20, text.ini) to a blank string.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #41:
    Angels and demons dancing in my head, lunatics and monsters underneath my bed Norco, CA WX: 64.3øF, 44.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux