• Re: controversy!

From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Nightfox on Mon May 20 15:17:19 2024
    Re: Re: controversy!
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon May 20 2024 10:01 am

Weren't most DOS programs designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio? I'd think you'd have the black bars on either side running DOSBox in full screen on a 16:9 monitor.

DOSBOX does text-mode stretching. I haven't tried playing a DOS game in DOSBOX, it'd probably pad a 4:3 screen.

...Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon May 20 17:22:01 2024
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Mon May 20 2024 03:17 pm

Weren't most DOS programs designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio? I'd think you'd
    have the black bars on either side running DOSBox in full screen on a 16:9
    monitor.

DOSBOX does text-mode stretching. I haven't tried playing a DOS game in DOSBOX, it'd probably pad a 4:3 screen.

Ah. Still, I think text meant for 4:3 stretched to 16:9 looks a little weird.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to Spectre on Tue May 21 11:56:50 2024
    By: Spectre to deon on Tue May 21 2024 01:21 am

Howdy,

So that begs the question, how much you're paying roughly and where you're filling. I've no idea where you might be able to fill. Generally the cheap servo locally tends to be around the $1.90 mark pretty reliably, making it cheaper than the nominal 4c offering out of Woolworths.

So I generally pass 2-3 survos before I get to costco. If they are advertising the $1.90/l rate (and they dont take the 4c from coles/woolies), then costco would generally be sub $1.80/l...

...ëîåï
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Ed Vance@21:1/175 to Elf on Tue May 21 10:17:09 2024
    I tried quoting but somehow "I" tapped somewhere on this phone and saw all kinds of other things on the screen, Clipboard came up cuz the phone thought it was what I needed, so I cancelled it, when all cleared up the section of Your post with the URL to the web page was no longer in existence.
    Anyway I was only wanting to mention seeing the GIF of someone typing made me wish I wasn't using this phone because IF I was on the XP box here I would have hovered the mouse cursor over that thar GIF and swiped it.
    Ed
    P.S. the text below is there because I was too lazy to tap the delete key hundreds of times to get rid of it.

Not sure what part of the world you're in, but if you have access to a burger joint call "The Habit" they have a teriyaki burger on their
    regular menu. It's all I order when I go there. :-)

~Elf

Visit our 1990's Web Site:
    http://lifeseven.com/1990s

... BorgBurgers - We do it our way; your way is irrelevant.
    ___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS 21:1/194 bbs.dmine.net:24 (21:1/194)
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (21:1/175)
  • From Elf@21:1/194 to NIGHTFOX on Tue May 21 06:54:00 2024
    Quoting Nightfox to Elf <=-

Not sure what part of the world you're in, but if you have access to a burger joint call "The Habit" they have a teriyaki burger on their regular menu. It's all I order when I go there. :-)

I'm in northwest Oregon. I haven't seen The Habit here.

Yeah, I took a quick look at their site - looks like you would have to
    go to Washington or Idaho. I'm in Utah near the southern Idaho border.

https://www.habitburger.com

~Elf

Visit our 1990's Web Site:
    http://lifeseven.com/1990s

... Darmok and Jhilad at Tanagra
    ___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS 21:1/194 bbs.dmine.net:24 (21:1/194)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Nightfox on Fri May 24 19:07:06 2024
    Re: your opinion of current world situation
    By: Nightfox to fusion on Tue May 14 2024 09:50 am

It seems the better technologies don't always win out. For PC operating systems, I thought OS/2 was better than Windows, but Windows ended up becoming the de facto standard.

OS/2 might've been better than Win9x, but it was not better than Windows NT (IMHO). And of course, IBM messed up the marketing of OS/2.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #80:
    85 SBBSecho registrations were sold (at $49) between 1994 and 1996
    Norco, CA WX: 63.0øF, 70.0% humidity, 9 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Digital Man on Fri May 24 19:12:32 2024
    Re: your opinion of current world situation
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Fri May 24 2024 07:07 pm

OS/2 might've been better than Win9x, but it was not better than Windows NT (IMHO). And of course, IBM messed up the marketing of OS/2.

I only used Windows NT a little bit, and perhaps not enough to know what advantage it had over OS/2. I thought OS/2 got pretty good up to its last version though.

I agree IBM messed up the marketing of OS/2. And I think IBM could have pushed it more. I think that was one of the main reasons it failed.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to fusion on Fri May 24 20:55:59 2024
    Re: Re: Pine, TIN etc.
    By: fusion to Blue White on Fri May 17 2024 10:04 am

for example, "telnet vert.synchro.net 11" (that is, port 11) will dump the currently active users, and a program made to use MSP could send messages to them..

I suggest you use nc (or netcat) for that kind of thing instead of telnet though. :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #19:
    I intend to live forever ... So far, so good.
    Norco, CA WX: 58.7øF, 77.0% humidity, 5 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to fusion on Wed Jun 5 14:26:14 2024
    ironically i almost didn't post that one (the text editor one was the other one) .. that and suggesting detroit style pizza is better than
    deep dish seems to ruffle some feathers :)

I traveled to Chicago recently, and we made sure to get some Chicago-style pizza while in Chicago.

And it was good, though really more like eating lasagna than eating pizza.

But when asked if it was my favorite type of pizza, because of preferring it over various thin-crust versions, I said no, because I think Detroit-style is my favorite type.

And _that's_ weird because I think Detroit-style barely registers as being a distinct style.

But I guess the combo of being able to have lots of toppings with bread that can support it winds up being my preference.

Though, really, I should probably eat less pizza. :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to Adept on Wed Jun 5 20:57:57 2024

Now there is a controversial opinion if ever there was one.... Maybe you just need to eat more of the right pizza.

... How much C could a C + + if a C + could + C?

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to kirkspragg on Thu Jun 6 20:34:22 2024

Now there is a controversial opinion if ever there was one.... Maybe you just need to eat more of the right pizza.

Oh, the thought came mostly out of my mom trying to lower her cholesterol levels without taking a statin, so she's getting fairly close to a vegan diet, at this point, and that has meant less pizza.

Or, well, it probably _should_, because for as many interesting fake options there are out there, cheese seems to be pretty darn hard.

But, regardless, it would be good if I ate less pizza that didn't taste that great and wasn't great for me.

Though pizza is hardly the worst-for-me thing I've eaten.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Ed Vance on Wed Jun 12 11:24:15 2024
    Yes, I'm Opinionated as everyone else is.

This was on a food topic, and I've tended to like food for this.

Because I think people should be able to passionately argue for why various foods are great/terrible, or that one should _always_ do one thing or another with a certain recipe.

And, at the end of it, people can eat whatever food works for them, and even if that's coconut (which isn't food; it's just "edible" sawdust), my opinion on the person hasn't changed, because my arguments, while extremely serious, are not actually serious at all.

People can eat whatever they like, and I'm not going to judge them, even if I'm totally going to judge them in the sense of one color being superior to another, when the difference is entirely subjective.

But it's nice when people are passionate about the food choices, even if they're wrong.

• From Ed Vance@21:1/175 to Adept on Wed Jun 12 16:03:06 2024

This was on a food topic, and I've tended to like food for this.

Because I think people should be able to passionately argue for why various foods are great/terrible, or that one should _always_ do one thing or another with a certain recipe.

And, at the end of it, people can eat whatever food works for them, and even if that's coconut (which isn't food; it's just "edible" sawdust), my opinion on the person hasn't changed, because my arguments, while extremely serious, are not actually serious at all.

People can eat whatever they like, and I'm not going to judge them, even if I'm totally going to judge them in the sense of one color being superior to another, when the difference is entirely subjective.

But it's nice when people are passionate about the food choices, even if they're wrong.

WOW!, That comment of mine was made on 16May24.
    It took me a long while scrolling upwards in this thread to see it.

The opinion is in reference to my liking Taco Sauce instead of Taco Salsa because the latter product has chunks in it.
    While scrolling up through the posts I saw topics about ytalk server stuff, and there were other things talked about too!

My not knowing how to 'find' a word in a thread on this phone is what caused me to hunt the post that I made the comment in.

The word DIFFICULT doesn't explain fully my thoughts of how DIFFERENT using this cellphone compared to the computer(s) here in my room.

At least quoting messages is easy now that I've been told how.

On the subject of Food - I don't believe in Food Fights just because I use Taco Sauce on Scrambled Eggs.
    I like what I like, others like food that they like. No argument here.

I told a manager at a Buffet my only complaint I had is that every time I walk in the place I waddle out.

Ed
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to Ed Vance on Wed Jun 12 17:12:05 2024
    I told a manager at a Buffet my only complaint I had is that every time
    I walk in the place I waddle out.

Boy, do I understand/agree with that!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    altairiv.ddns.net:2323

... Origin of Life? Just check my refrigerator...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Adept on Thu Jun 13 18:16:00 2024
    And, at the end of it, people can eat whatever food works for them, and even if that's coconut (which isn't food; it's just "edible" sawdust), my

Chuckle.

Are you eating the Kapok portion of the coconut? While I'm no fan of coconut in general, sawdust seems a little harsh. Unless wherever you are gets only really dry shredded...

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Ed Vance@21:1/175 to ogg on Thu Jun 13 10:22:23 2024

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... Origin of Life? Just check my refrigerator...

The manager had a very serious look on his face until I said waddle out.
    Ed
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to Ed Vance on Thu Jun 13 13:18:30 2024

ogg

The manager had a very serious look on his face until I said waddle out. Ed
    I bet, LOL!
    Scott

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Spectre on Fri Jun 14 20:04:39 2024
    Are you eating the Kapok portion of the coconut? While I'm no fan of coconut in general, sawdust seems a little harsh. Unless wherever you
    are gets only really dry shredded...

I mean the texture that you'd get in the candy bars that involve chocolate-covered coconut. So, yeah, it's not _really_ sawdust, but moistened sawdust covered in milk chocolate.

I have oftentimes had a very strong sweet tooth, and I remember a time when I was interested in eating cake that a coworker had brought.

Then I found that it was covered in coconut, and I no longer considered it food.

That said, my mom's favorite candy bars are Mounds and Almond Joy, so whatever I _detest_ about it must be enjoyable for my mom.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Adept on Sat Jun 15 21:46:00 2024
    I mean the texture that you'd get in the candy bars that involve chocolate-covered coconut. So, yeah, it's not _really_ sawdust, but moistened sawdust covered in milk chocolate.

That said, my mom's favorite candy bars are Mounds and Almond Joy, so whatever I _detest_ about it must be enjoyable for my mom.

No idea what Mounds or Almond joy might be, they don't sound to joyful
    though. Only two things come to mind that I can look sideways at here with coconut in them, Cherry Ripe, and Bounty. Not big on Cherry Ripe but while there's a fair slab of coconut in there it doesn't seem to get in the way of the taste. Bounty on the other hand, near 95% coconut and I dunno what it is about that one, sometimes will get a hankering for it.

Ahh by the image your Mounds is probably somewhat similar to aa Bounty.

Spec

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Spectre on Sat Jun 15 14:29:12 2024
    By: Spectre to Adept on Sat Jun 15 2024 09:46 pm

That said, my mom's favorite candy bars are Mounds and Almond Joy, so
    whatever I _detest_ about it must be enjoyable for my mom.

No idea what Mounds or Almond joy might be, they don't sound to joyful though.

They're candy bars - Mounds is sweetened coconut in dark chocolate, and Almond Joy is the same but with a couple of almonds added.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nightfox on Sun Jun 16 19:16:00 2024
    They're candy bars - Mounds is sweetened coconut in dark chocolate, and Almond Joy is the same but with a couple of almonds added.

Sounds better than a mouthful of Kapok. Also sounds more like the local "Bounty" bar.

Spec

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Nightfox on Sun Jun 16 08:01:00 2024
    Nightfox wrote to Spectre <=-

"Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't. Because - some times you feel like
    a nut, sometimes you don't!"

BURNED INTO MY HEAD FROM CHILDHOOD.

... People did not know that bananas could be peeled until 2004.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Jun 16 17:06:41 2024
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Sun Jun 16 2024 08:01 am

"Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't. Because - some times you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!"

Yep. :)

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Dr. What@21:1/616 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 17 07:21:59 2024
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Nightfox <=-

"Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't. Because - some times you feel
    like a nut, sometimes you don't!"

So.... Does that mean that Almond Joys are boys and Mounds are girls?

... Resist everything but temptation.
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Spectre on Wed Jun 19 19:53:04 2024
    Ahh by the image your Mounds is probably somewhat similar to aa Bounty.

Yeah, I think it's called Bounty in Germany, too, but I'm pretty sure they're the same candy bar by the same company.

I don't think there's a German equivalent of Almond Joy, but it's effectively a Bounty bar with an almond on top of it (if it's a tiny bar, or almonds spaced on top if it's larger), but covered in chocolate from there.

And, yeah, I'm not sure I could even stand to lick them, as I'd probably get the occasional lick with coconut texture coming off of it.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Arelor on Fri Jun 21 14:54:12 2024
    But I want to know _people_, not political opinions. And I want to _lik most everyone here.

I don't think you get to know a person without knowing what his opinions are. --

And see? I like you _despite_ how grumpy you often are. :)

But, all the same, keeping a lid on how much we find out about your opinions on Spanish politicians probably makes us all happier.

But horses? Or your flaming sword? Fun topics.

Beyond that, though, I oftentimes have to take breaks from social media things because of how my brain works (someone on the internet is wrong!), and I dearly love having a place of discussion where the must-fact-check-this portion of my brain can be a little quieter.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to fusion on Fri Jun 21 15:10:39 2024
    i think personally if i was going to be picky i'd like to try out a nice 8x19 font.. that's pretty close to what dosbox might stretch a 4:3 text mode session to on a 1440p 16:9 screen.. you'd still have the bars on

...I love this level of nerdiness, though, when confronted with (and horrified by):

ultrawide monitor, I get two big black bars on either side, which ru
    the full screen experience for me.

...I'd probably just get another monitor.

Or, well, have black bars, since I'm typing this in a window where there's some scanned-documents and icons behind the SyncTERM window.

But I know I've absolutely been that level of particular, though oftentimes it's in waiting forever to buy something, because I want a very particular setup of things.

Since the pleasure of things just working / being the right form factor / etc., is quite nice, at least if you remember to think about when it wasn't.

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to Adept on Sun Jun 30 18:15:55 2024
    Re: Re: your opinion of current world situation
    By: Adept to Arelor on Fri Jun 21 2024 02:54 pm

And see? I like you _despite_ how grumpy you often are. :)

That is new. People usually likes me only within a professional context. Everybody else could not care less whether I lived or died.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)