• VR on Linux anyone?

From Malvinas@21:4/167 to All on Sat May 25 19:50:29 2024
    Hello everyone, and thank you for reading this.
    How hard/easy would you say it is to setup the software required to play linux games in PCVR mode?
    On Win I have: Steam, Oculus app, have Oculus Link enabled and a PCVR-capable game, like perhaps Euro Truck Simulator 2 or Assetto Corsa.
    What real info/experience could you share with me on this matter?

Thank you all again for your time and concern.

Cheers!
    Pol Malvinas.

Islas Malvinas, siempre Argentinas!

... Islas Malvinas, siempre Argentinas.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: The Vault BBS (21:4/167)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to Malvinas on Tue May 28 07:59:52 2024
    On 25 May 2024, Malvinas said the following...

Hello everyone, and thank you for reading this.
    How hard/easy would you say it is to setup the software required to play linux games in PCVR mode?
    On Win I have: Steam, Oculus app, have Oculus Link enabled and a PCVR-capable game, like perhaps Euro Truck Simulator 2 or Assetto Corsa. What real info/experience could you share with me on this matter?

Thank you all again for your time and concern.
    Cheers!
    Pol Malvinas.

Believe me I would love it. There is an open source project for it but its really slow moving and barely has anything working. If you want VR in Linux get an Index. They work right out of the box. I can't remember the software off the top of my head but you can get one that allows you to play Oculus store stuff on Index. All of that works in Linux. People have gotten it all tweeked and working for the screen to work and if I remember head movements but you can't do controllers or spacial movements. Makes VR pretty moot without that.

If I had the money for the Index I would get it. :(.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |20|15Radio|10@|14HTTP://Noverdu.com:88
    |16|10 Standard ports for SSH/Telnet |04 WEB|14@|12HTTP://noverdu.com:808 |20|15Global Chat, Global Messaging and Games! |16|10Ditch the Unsocial Media

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From Malvinas@21:2/151 to claw on Sat Jun 8 18:21:47 2024
    Re: Re: VR on Linux anyone?
    By: claw to Malvinas on Tue May 28 2024 07:59:52

really slow moving and barely has anything working. If you want VR in Linux get an Index. They work right out of the box. I can't remember the software off the top of my head but you can get one that allows you to play Oculus store stuff on Index. All of that works in Linux. People have
    Wow, that's great to hear. I don't care for "Oculus store stuff", because that's way subpar experiences compared to PCVR things. The Index being so compatible with Linux I guess, has to do with SteamOS being some kind of Linux fork, right? Also, PCVR games/experiences usually don't need motion controllers, or you moving around a lot, just being able to pan your head around and "look around" your area. Most of the PCVR games I play on Window$ are "cockpit mode" games, and a few "stand in place" exploration first-person games.
    So, all in all it's great to hear that and I'll be sure to go on looking forward to finding an Index on discount somewhere.
    Cheers!

Pol Malvinas.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Dock Sud BBS - bbs.docksud.com.ar - Argentina (21:2/151)