• ifcico

From Dumas Walker@21:1/175 to All on Thu Jul 4 15:05:16 2024
    I am trying to set up ifcico to accept internet calls on my bbs. I have installed it on this machine and my test system. The latest fidonet nodelist has been updated to reflect the IFC flag for both nodes, and it has been compiled using ifindex.

I am getting the following error. I have confirmed that the node being called does have a proper INA entry. I also added the internet address to the IFC flag, just in case, but I am still receiving this error. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 04 13:41:04 local ifcico[2415545]: options: Call NoHold PUA WaZOO EMSI Freqs Zmodem ZedZap Janus Hydra Tcp Txy
    Jul 04 13:41:04 local ifcico[2415545]: cannot call 1:2320/105@fidonet (capitolcityonline.net, phone (null))
    Jul 04 13:41:04 local ifcico[2415545]: call to 1:2320/105@fidonet failed (rc=7) Jul 04 13:41:04 local ifcico[2415545]: 0 of 1 calls, maxrc=7

I was assuming the issue is the 'phone (null)' message. However rc-7 means "Call prohibited by config options".

Because I am not using a modem, I did *not* change any of the default Modem* or the DialDelay (=0) setting. My "options" are set to '(time Any0000-2359) NoHold', which is also the default.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!
    $$
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (21:1/175)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Dumas Walker on Sat Jul 6 21:43:32 2024
    Hello Dumas!

On 04 Jul 2024, Dumas Walker said the following...

I am getting the following error. I have confirmed that the node being called does have a proper INA entry. I also added the internet address
    to the IFC flag, just in case, but I am still receiving this error. Any help would be appreciated.

The parser/grammar of ifcico is very limited, so any additions to the IFC
    flag *could* cause it to be ignored, leaving dial-out as the only option, and, as you noted, there is no phone number available.

Not sure why one gets exit status 7 instead of 8 ("Phone number unavailable"), though...

I get the same result here if I try to poll manually ('ifcico f105.n2320.z1'). :-/

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Dumas Walker@21:1/175 to Zip on Mon Jul 8 11:08:30 2024
    Hello Dumas!

On 04 Jul 2024, Dumas Walker said the following...

I am getting the following error. I have confirmed that the node being called does have a proper INA entry. I also added the internet address to the IFC flag, just in case, but I am still receiving this error.
    Any help would be appreciated.

The parser/grammar of ifcico is very limited, so any additions to the IFC flag *could* cause it to be ignored, leaving dial-out as the only option, and, as you noted, there is no phone number available.

Not sure why one gets exit status 7 instead of 8 ("Phone number unavailable"), though...

I get the same result here if I try to poll manually ('ifcico f105.n2320.z1'). :-/

I wrote a response to this but don't see it now!

I checked for some additional documentation but did not find any. I looked over the command line options for polling out and decided to try a couple I had not been using. Come to find out, if you are going to poll a node via the internet instead of dialup, you have to give ifcico the information. It won't read it from the nodelist.

So, using this command line resulted in a pollout from my test system to my BBS:

ifcico -t0 -acapitolcityonline.net f105.n2320.z1

The "-t0" might not be necessary but I am leaving it there since it works this way. ;) The "-a" tells ifcico what internet address to poll. If you leave it off, it will revert to trying dialup even with the "-t0" present.

Now I just need to test it with some actual mail to send between the two nodes, but at least I know it will poll now, and that 1:2320/105 can properly answer and log the incoming call.

Your attempt at a poll got me thinking about checking into the command line options some more, so thanks for trying that!

$$
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Dumas Walker on Tue Jul 9 16:23:18 2024
    Hello Dumas!

So, using this command line resulted in a pollout from my test system to my BBS:

Hmm, interesting... Thanks for the info! Seems everything is OK after all then. =)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Dumas Walker@21:1/175 to ZIP on Wed Jul 10 07:28:00 2024

Hmm, interesting... Thanks for the info! Seems everything is OK after all then.
    =)

It is now. I did have a small issue getting ifcico to run as the correct
    user. The documentation for the installed version didn't give any good
    clues there, but one of the example files included with the code for a
    newer version did include a breadcrumb I could use.

That version is "newer" but old enough that it no longer compiles due to containing obsolete usages that new compilers refuse to compile with.

* SLMR 2.1a * Make like smoke and dissipate.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux