• Unicode Output Coming Soon

From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to all on Wed Feb 5 12:53:28 2014
    Hi All,

A small update on what's in the works. I've made some nice progress on my ddtelnetd fork adding detection TTYPE for client terminal type and NAWS client windows sizes. I hope to have support for these items rolled out soon which will also go into supporting my next item below.

I'm very pleased with the latest progress I've made on translating CP437 High-Ascii block characters to Unicode. Thanks to the help of Dingo at telnet://1984.ws I've gotten the ground work laid out for output translations of CP437 ANSI line and block characters to a UTF-8 terminal. Terminals such
    as the Linux Console, Konsole, Xterm, gterm and other UTF-8 multibyte encoded interfaces will be able to telnet and view ANSI without needing a Telnet program with CP437 character set soon. Of course a telnet program with zmodem and other feature will always be the preferred method, support for Unicode output opens the doors for more than just telnet interfaces being able to connect and use your ANSI text system.

I've made a couple screen shots of my development build below. Once some more features are added for toggling between CP437 and UTF-8 character set these
    new features will get rolled out to the base code along with my bbs at htc.zapto.org.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zf1t83&s=8 http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qravkx&s=8

The first screen shot shows a terminal in Ubuntu. You can see some Unicode fonts are not fixed width and will have some lines between the characters. Results will vary depending on the terminal font used.

The second is a screen shot is in Arch Linux using Konsole with a fixed width Unicode font. You can see here the screen looks a lot cleaner for the block graphics, although some lettering is thinner for normal text. So.. again results will vary depending on fonts installed and setup for use in your terminals. Overall this is great progress!

|07M|11er|03cy|07ful Fate |08(|15hTc|08)|07

--- Enthral BBS [v.610/Alpha] (Linux x86_64)
    * Origin: haunting The chapel >>--> htc.zapto.org <--<< (1:154/140)
  • From J. Quast@1:154/140 to Michael Griffin on Wed Feb 5 18:22:12 2014
    $ Michael Griffin mentioned . .
    %
    A small update on what's in the works. I've made some nice progress on my ddtelnetd fork adding detection TTYPE for client terminal type and NAWS cli windows sizes. I hope to have support for these items rolled out soon whic will also go into supporting my next item below.

is ddtelnetd open source yeah? Would they accept these upstream? You shouuld submit them ...

• From Hawk Hubbard@1:154/140 to Michael Griffin on Wed Feb 5 18:45:56 2014
    ddtelnetd fork sounds sexie (!)

|10|11|07 (|15Captain|07 |15Hood|07 |11+O|07) |11|10|07
    |03{|11tHE|10.|11pIRATE|10.|14kING|03}|07
    |08 blackflag.acid.org |08<|12AC|13i|12D|08>|07

• From Nicholas Boel@1:154/701 to Michael Griffin on Wed Feb 5 22:30:50 2014
    Hello Michael,

On 05 Feb 14 12:53, Michael Griffin wrote to all:

Hi All,

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zf1t83&s=8 http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qravkx&s=8

Looking great Mike!

The first screen shot shows a terminal in Ubuntu. You can see some Unicode fonts are not fixed width and will have some lines between the characters. Results will vary depending on the terminal font used.

The second is a screen shot is in Arch Linux using Konsole with a
    fixed width Unicode font. You can see here the screen looks a lot
    cleaner for the block graphics, although some lettering is thinner for normal text. So.. again results will vary depending on fonts
    installed and setup for use in your terminals. Overall this is great progress!

I don't use much Zmodem these days, so telnetting from a UTF-8 only console over here will definitely be something to look forward to! Can't wait to check it out!

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910 | /usr/bin/nano
    * Origin: Dark Sorrow | darksorrow.us (1:154/701)
  • From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to J. Quast on Thu Feb 6 06:17:40 2014
    $ J. Quast mentioned . .
    %
    A small update on what's in the works. I've made some nice progress on m ddtelnetd fork adding detection TTYPE for client terminal type and NAWS c windows sizes. I hope to have support for these items rolled out soon wh will also go into supporting my next item below.

is ddtelnetd open source yeah? Would they accept these upstream? You shouul submit them ...

Yep, it's opened source. I'm not sure how active the development is. I know Ryan Fantus <ESC> has been busy in a move to the West Coast and now is getting deployed back to Afghanistan for work.

Once I get everything up on a repository again it will be open for everyone interested in merging any changes back. I also tend to rewrite stuff I use in more G++ style whereas Daydream is solid in GCC. So they would need to do a little work to merge my changes back.

I'll probably even rewrite more to C++ types as time goes on, as I've been moving away from C style more and more as go. I've just started using C++x0 in some new code and functions. I'll wait for some of the latest C++11 types as some of the default compilers are not that far yet in support.

I like Draydream alot, it's been a good refernce for things suych as multinode pipes and node messages. I've contributed before with a nice pipe code functions for displaying colors in the message reader from users signatures.
    I want to rewrite a few of it's functions myself like the default of using \r only for new lines which really needs to be \r\n casue then it doesn't look right on just about all windows clients that are not Syncterm! heh

• From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to Hawk Hubbard on Thu Feb 6 06:34:58 2014
    $ Hawk Hubbard mentioned . .
    %
    ddtelnetd fork sounds sexie (!)

Now we just need a Spoon! a little olive oil.. heh

• From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to Nicholas Boel on Thu Feb 6 06:44:24 2014
    $ Nicholas Boel mentioned . .
    %
    On 05 Feb 14 12:53, Michael Griffin wrote to all:

Hi All,

Looking great Mike!

Thank you Nick! I've pretty excited to get this rolled out soon to the bbs
    for everyone to use.

$ Nicholas Boel mentioned . .
    %
    I don't use much Zmodem these days, so telnetting from a UTF-8 only console over here will definitely be something to look forward to! Can't wait to ch it out!

There will be plenty of testing to do once it's ready to go. I know most characters seem to translate well in the process. However, the challenge will be to figure out the best set of Fonts that display the most accurate High-Ascii characters. Fixed-size fonts seem to do the best job. However,
    at high resolutions they make everything a bit small if you keep the 80x25 aspect ratio. And fonts that resize seem to have lines and spaces between characters. So it's a trade off right now.

The best I've seen so far have been in straight Linux console off Arch Linux. The default VGA 80x25 seems to display everything perfectly! Although, I
    have noticed some spacing that appears to be off on certain character here and there. So it's possible a single character is not getting translated or one that is, is not displaying properly with its Unicode variant and those small anomalies will be some work to track down.

• From J. Quast@1:154/140 to Michael Griffin on Thu Feb 6 23:56:48 2014
    %
    Yep, it's opened source. I'm not sure how active the development is. I k

Folk really need to get on the github train.

I've forked/improved other people's open source projects who are too busy to pick it up -- but folk looking for such improvements find my fork through the github interface and pick it up. Why aren't you on it yet?! Get it!

• From J. Quast@1:154/140 to Michael Griffin on Thu Feb 6 23:59:50 2014
    %
    The default VGA 80x25 seems to display everything perfectly! Although, I have noticed some spacing that appears to be off on certain character here there. So it's possible a single character is not getting translated or on that is, is not displaying properly with its Unicode variant and those smal anomalies will be some work to track down.

My friend jojo (actually, we're on fidonet here? he's on the defunct
    comitte.. team), has been wroking on a "ugafont", a utf-8 + vga font system, using some open source utf-8 font, but those cp437-equivalent glyphs your translation table uses replaced with very accurate IBM-PC DOS CP437 glyphs so that ansi art would reproduce exactly.

There are some issues, notably, that its a fixed font. So it only looks good with exactly 8x8 pixels or whatever it is... on my macbook retina display this is absolutely impossible to see. If you double it to 16x16, its not pixel-perfect, but it is almost undistinguishable from a natural DOS system.

Its the in-betweens that don't line up. His current solution is with a vector font that is basically composed of dots -- for some resolutions this works perfectly, even looks exactly like a CRT monitor would, but for others its
    just "dim" in apperance and hard to read.. I keep pressuring him to work on
    it, I don't think he's stuck so much as he's just simply too busy.

I'm going to send him a note again, and let him know at least 1 other bbs system out there can take advantage of it :-)

• From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to J. Quast on Fri Feb 7 11:20:42 2014
    $ J. Quast mentioned . .
    %
    Folk really need to get on the github train.

I've forked/improved other people's open source projects who are too busy t pick it up -- but folk looking for such improvements find my fork through t github interface and pick it up. Why aren't you on it yet?! Get it!

You, you've got an awesome page of projects going. https://github.com/jquast for anyone intested in checking it out. It's a great refernce and i look it over all the time.

I've been debating on using Github or an Internal Trac CMS website like Netsurge setup for me previously. I also want to fix a lot of hard coded strings and get more configuration into some the settings before i release it for everyone, not to mention code clean up :) That time we be coming soon though. I might just do GIT hub so it will be faster and accessable even if
    my system goes down for some reason.

• From Michael Griffin@1:154/140 to J. Quast on Fri Feb 7 11:24:08 2014
    $ J. Quast mentioned . .
    %
    My friend jojo (actually, we're on fidonet here? he's on the defunct comitte.. team), has been wroking on a "ugafont", a utf-8 + vga font system using some open source utf-8 font, but those cp437-equivalent glyphs your translation table uses replaced with very accurate IBM-PC DOS CP437 glyphs that ansi art would reproduce exactly.

Thats some awesome news, we really do need some better UTF-8 font support for terminals all around. And yes sir, this is the single FidoNet echo I have setup on the board at this time. I might add more areas at a later date but
    I want to get msg groups and conferences added before I add a lot of areas.

$ J. Quast mentioned . .
    %
    There are some issues, notably, that its a fixed font. So it only looks goo with exactly 8x8 pixels or whatever it is... on my macbook retina display t is absolutely impossible to see. If you double it to 16x16, its not pixel-perfect, but it is almost undistinguishable from a natural DOS system

The fixed font seems to be the main issue, there are a few fixed now but of course they all have the same problem. At select sizes the fonts look great, but when you resize the spacing is all off. Is there anyways jojo will make multiple sets, like an in inital set at 8x8, then a second set at 16x16 or even 32x32, that way you can choose the different sizes and have them all
    look good. Probably the most ideal I would think although a lot of work i'm sure. I've never tried to make fonts before, i wonder how much it's like drawing ansi? :)

$ J. Quast mentioned . .
    %
    Its the in-betweens that don't line up. His current solution is with a vect font that is basically composed of dots -- for some resolutions this works perfectly, even looks exactly like a CRT monitor would, but for others its just "dim" in apperance and hard to read.. I keep pressuring him to work on it, I don't think he's stuck so much as he's just simply too busy.

I'm going to send him a note again, and let him know at least 1 other bbs system out there can take advantage of it :-)

Ya, keep us posted. This is really cool news that he's working on this.