• Today's date

From Roger Nelson@1:3828/7 to All on Wed Dec 7 16:58:46 2011
    Anyone around know what event took place 70-years ago today?

Regards,

Roger

--- D'Bridge 3.64
    * Origin: NCS BBS (1:3828/7)
  • From Janis Kracht@1:261/38 to Roger Nelson on Wed Dec 7 23:24:04 2011

I only heard about the battle at Pearl Harbor from my Dad. The ship he was on before it sank (not during that action of course) was the Quincy.

We kids who couldn't know what that sinking ship was like, used to be mesmerized by the tales Dad and his friend, Hammersmith would tell us around the dinner table. We could only imagine what it was like for those who suffered during that war.

Take care,
    Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
  • From Roger Nelson@1:3828/7 to Janis Kracht on Thu Dec 8 07:27:18 2011

I only heard about the battle at Pearl Harbor from my Dad. The ship he was on before it sank (not during that action of course) was the Quincy.

We kids who couldn't know what that sinking ship was like, used to be mesmerized by the tales Dad and his friend, Hammersmith would tell us around the dinner table. We could only imagine what it was like for
    those who suffered during that war.

My brother joined the Navy and was halfway across the Pacific when the Japanese
    surrendered. He wrote to me about how disappointed he was he didn't get to see
    any action. After what we saw back home in subsequent newsreels, I thought he should consider himself very lucky he didn't. The late director John Ford was in the Navy stationed at Pearl during the attack and made a documentary of it.
    I can only imagine the horror those people there went through with the bombing,
    strafing and not knowing what was going to happen next. Down here, we suffer none of that and the closest we will ever come to it is hurricanes, which have "To whom it may concern" as their format. That said, we did go to bed at night
    during WWII wondering if we would see the next day. That in itself was a horrifying experience.

Regards,

Roger

--- D'Bridge 3.64
    * Origin: NCS BBS (1:3828/7)