• Re: more cannabis stores than needed

From George Pope@1:153/757 to Nick Andre on Sun Jun 11 08:39:00 2023
    On 10 May 23 13:26:34, George Pope said the following to August Abolins:
    Ouch. In Richmond, here, it's illegal to provide plastic bags at checkout
    free or for-fee.
    When I was a little boy I remember the grocery stores switched from paper to plastic because of the trees... Oh we just have to save the trees. Save the trees, save the forest, which eventually became save the rainforest.
    What a bunch of liberal hippie nonsense. All of it.

Well. we kind of do need the rain forests -- that's the lungs of the planet -- dunno about you but I like breathing our atmosphere, running about 21% Oxygen in the mixture. . .

The plastic bags issue is not one of pollution, as they don't alter the environment, they only add to it -- & some people have deemed a 1,000-year decomposition to be bad (it's UGLY!)

How do we know that Nature didn't evolve man explicitly to create plastic & fill the landscape with it? This is a facetious argument made by George Carlin, but I find it a reasonable question to ask the so-called eco know-it-alls.

Ooh, there's a giant island of plastic in the ocean!

So what? The ecosystem has adapted to it just fine -- removing the island in a clean-up will result in the deaths of thousands of creatures who now call it home.

Maybe humans need to STFU and realize that the world doesn't give a {Senatorial opinion} about humans -- we're just one more partially evolved creature that she made. . .

What will be will be, & so what -- I'm all for actions that directly reflect on self-preservation (such as stopping the corporations who are clear-cutting Brazil for the benefit of a scarce 0.01%'s gain, at the expense of everyone else.)

I'm quite happy eating Canadian-grown food & breathing the universal atmosphere before vested interests fleep it up for everyone else, while they live in sealed environments. (I only want to know: are these places flammable? or otherwise breachable? We could get military explosives if we needed them.)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to George Pope on Sun Jun 11 21:50:40 2023

Is there?

Where are the photos?

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Sun Jun 11 13:07:28 2023

Is there?

Where are the photos?

This story is from 2019.

https://chiletoday.cl/floating-garbage-patches-grow-in-the-pacific-ocean/

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Alan Ianson on Sun Jun 11 23:15:42 2023
    Alan,

Is there?

Where are the photos?

This story is from 2019.

Pls do not change the subject ... the mention was "a giant island of plastic in the ocean" ... but you are now mentioning "garbage patches".

So show me some photos of a "giant island of plastic" ... No photo? No NASA imagery? Sorry Alan, didn't happen ... no island.

And I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about after a lifetime of environmental protecion (OK, OK ... 51 years now) working for UNEP (UN Environmental Programme), the European Environmental Bureau, Greenpeace, the International Water Tribunal and others ...

I am aware of large trash heaps for example at Bohuslan on the Swedish coast where I helped remove a roughly 3 meter layer of compacted plastics of all kinds of sources ... There are photos of that trash heap ... but there is no "giant island of plastic garbage" in the ocean. That "island" has become an urban legend, told over and over again to such an extent it is even mentioned in scientific publications but without proof.

Let me share with you another story ... with the Dublin Bay Environment Group (Ireland) we had annual campaigns of cleaning the beaches there by picking up used condoms and plastic backs of women's sanitary pads. The church was very powerful and the use of condoms was frowned upon, so after use they were flushed through the toilet in order to leave no trace. We collected all that in a hazaqrd-free way and it was recycled into benches which were placed throughout town ... I never sat on a plastic Irish bench anymore.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Sun Jun 11 15:17:18 2023
    Where are the photos?

This story is from 2019.

Pls do not change the subject ... the mention was "a giant island of plastic in the ocean" ... but you are now mentioning "garbage patches".

I am not changing the subject.

You asked for a picture (there is more, if you care look it up) and I gave you a story to look at that included a picture.

I'm sorry that garbage patch isn't what you were looking for!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From Mickey@1:229/308 to Ward Dossche on Sun Jun 11 19:00:18 2023
    BY: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
    Is there?

Where are the photos?

\%/@rd

Oh, it's there. I've seen the photos. It might not be an 'actual' soil-based island, with a living population of humans on top, nor does it have an authentic island name, but it's pretty darn big.

<< Please put silly arguments HERE >>

Mick Manning

-- The Blues had a child and they called it Rock and Roll

--- WWIV 5.8.0.3685[Windows]
    * Origin: Central Ontario Remote WWIV (1:229/308)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Alan Ianson on Mon Jun 12 09:59:28 2023
    Alan,

You asked for a picture (there is more, if you care look it up) and I
    gave you a story to look at that included a picture.

I'm sorry that garbage patch isn't what you were looking for!

I am aware of the "Chile Today" publication but the photo there has got nothing to do with a mid-ocean plastic waste island which has now been reduced to the well known patch or vortex. Look at the horizon of the photo, it's even in-shore and in Japan after the 2011 Tsunami there. It's not even established it's major plastic debris (not waste, that's different) or something else.

The reality is it cannot be photographed. You could be in your boat, sail through it and not even notice it, catch fish for food.

It doesn't mean it isn't there, it means there is no trash island to photograph, there even is no trash patch photos in existance. Not in "Nature", not in "National Geographic", not in "NASA immagery".

Photos being used by "Ocean Cleanup", the non-profit started by Dutch college drop-out Boyan Slat, were staged on deck of a Maersk vessel.

The plastic waste problem cannot be solved if it is not tackled at the source, and the source is a stretch from the Indian peninsula comprising the coasts of the whole of SE Asia where waste is simply dumped in rivers by garbage trucks. North America is not the problem, South America is not the problem, Europe is not the problem ... Mainland Asia is. And no issuing plastic bags at our supermarkets is not going to solve a thing, it's not the source of the problem ... the source of the problem is elsewhere. When supermarkets issue no longer plastic bags, it's not out of environmental concern, but to cut costs...while at the same time they use thin-film packaging for foods which is considered OK...

Take care,

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201