• doors and mulitple nodes

From Rixter@VERT/RICKSBBS to all on Thu Jun 20 19:17:53 2024
    I got all the old doors i wanted to run to run. I noticed that they only run on node 1. If someone tries to access them on node 2 or other nodes they just go back to the door launch menu. Is there a way to to enable doors designed for node 1 to either run on other nodes or to have a message for the user to try back later? The ones that came with synchronet have no problem running on multiple nodes. I have one door that occasionally keeps the previous callers details instead of the current details, in the clean up command after the door closes do i need to specify a batch file that reads cd\sbbs\node1 del door.sys or dorinfo1.def or whatever the file type is? I have 3 doors that only work with dorinfo1.def is why i bring this up. they work great but only on node1. calling in from node 2 - 10 only sends the caller back to the door menu. I am happy with the function of the door and users enjoy them but it is a little confusing to some that call and sometimes they do not work. They are working, but only if the user gets node 1 free at the time of log on. Any tips from veteran Synchronet BBS SYSOPS? Thank you.

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Ricks BBS - RICKSBBS.SYNCHRO.NET
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rixter on Thu Jun 20 16:55:18 2024
    Re: doors and mulitple nodes
    By: Rixter to all on Thu Jun 20 2024 07:17 pm

I got all the old doors i wanted to run to run. I noticed that they only run on node 1. If someone tries to access them on node 2 or other nodes they just go back to the door launch menu.

How do you have these doors configured in SCFG? Hopefully you don't have the path to the node1 directory hard-coded in the command-line (?).

If the door has a separate config file for each node, then you'll need to be sure to set that up in the door's configuration program (if it has one) or create/edit those additional node config files (for each node you intend support).

Is there a way to to enable doors
    designed for node 1 to either run on other nodes or to have a message for the user to try back later?

There's really no such thing as "doors designed for node 1". More likely, it's a multi-node door and you just didn't *configure* the door to support > 1 node.

The ones that came with synchronet have no
    problem running on multiple nodes. I have one door that occasionally keeps the previous callers details instead of the current details, in the clean up command after the door closes do i need to specify a batch file that reads cd\sbbs\node1 del door.sys or dorinfo1.def or whatever the file type is?

No. Most likely, you have the configured to read the wrong drop file type (not the same type that you have Synchronet configured to *create* for that door in SCFG).

You need to diagnose the issue more (look at the door's documentation and config file and compare closely with what you have confiugured in SCFG). If you want the drop files to be automatically deleted when a user logs-off, set them to be created in the "Temporary Directory" instead of the "Node Directory" in SCFG:
    É[þ][?]ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
    º Create Drop File In º
    ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹
    º ³Node Directory º
    º ³Start-up Directory º
    º ³Temporary Directory º
    ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
    That will *gaurantee* that an old drop file (for a previous user) will never be used for that particular door. But that's not normally required when everything is configured correctly.

I
    have 3 doors that only work with dorinfo1.def is why i bring this up. they work great but only on node1. calling in from node 2 - 10 only sends the caller back to the door menu.

Are you saying they won't work with dorinfo2.def if that's the drop file created by SBBS (which is an option in SCFG, called "DORINFO#.DEF")? Are you passing the path to the drop file (e.g. %f specifier) on the command-line to execute the door?

I am happy with the function of the door and
    users enjoy them but it is a little confusing to some that call and sometimes they do not work. They are working, but only if the user gets node 1 free at the time of log on. Any tips from veteran Synchronet BBS SYSOPS?

What are the names of the doors in question?
    Do these doors have configuration programs or files with per-node settings? Does the documentation say the door will read DORINFO1.DEF only, or will it read DORINFO#.DEF (e.g. DORINFO2.DEF) as well?
    What are your setting in SCFG for these doors?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #11:
    Struck between the eyes by the big time world, walking uneasy streets
    Norco, CA WX: 81.1øF, 42.0% humidity, 12 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Rixter@VERT/RICKSBBS to Digital Man on Fri Jun 21 21:48:29 2024
    I am getting closer to figuring it out rob. Thank you. The game is trade wars 2002 the js version that came with synchronet. I can connect on node 1 and run it fine, but anyone connected to node 2 sees nothing. On my host computer I can see the dos window open in local mode. It hangs node 2 caller in door menu seeing nothing. I can close my host computer dos window the game opens and it releases the caller back to the games menu.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to RIXTER on Sat Jun 22 09:35:00 2024
    I am getting closer to figuring it out rob. Thank you. The game is trade wars 2002 the js version that came with synchronet. I can connect on node 1 and run
    it fine, but anyone connected to node 2 sees nothing. On my host computer I ca
    see the dos window open in local mode. It hangs node 2 caller in door menu seeing nothing. I can close my host computer dos window the game opens and it releases the caller back to the games menu.

I am running on linux. Here, when someone opens that door, it does not
    "open a DOS window" because it is not a DOS program. I suspect maybe you
    need to check the settings for that door and make sure that it is set up
    for multiple concurrent users, and also make sure that SCFG doesn't think
    it is a DOS program.

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm not a bigot, I hate everyone.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rixter on Sat Jun 22 12:02:09 2024
    By: Rixter to Digital Man on Fri Jun 21 2024 09:48 pm

I am getting closer to figuring it out rob. Thank you. The game is trade wars 2002 the js version that came with synchronet. I can connect on node 1 and run it fine, but anyone connected to node 2 sees nothing. On my host computer I can see the dos window open in local mode. It hangs node 2 caller in door menu seeing nothing. I can close my host computer dos window the game opens and it releases the caller back to the games menu.

tw2.js is not TradeWars 2002 and it's not a dos program (so you should *not* be seeing any "dos window open" and it doesn't use/read drop files. Here's a working config for tw2.js in SCFG:

Start-up Directory ../xtrn/tw2
    Command Line ?tw2
    Clean-up Command Line
    Execution Cost None
    Access Requirements
    Execution Requirements
    Multiple Concurrent Users Yes
    I/O Method FOSSIL or UART
    Native Executable/Script No
    Use Shell or New Context Yes
    Modify User Data No
    Execute on Event No
    Pause After Execution No
    Disable Local Display No
    BBS Drop File Type None
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #27:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    Norco, CA WX: 90.5øF, 31.0% humidity, 5 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Rixter@VERT/RICKSBBS to Dumas Walker on Sat Jun 22 14:32:54 2024
    I am running on linux. Here, when someone opens that door, it does not
    "open a DOS window" because it is not a DOS program. I suspect maybe you need to check the settings for that door and make sure that it is set up
    for multiple concurrent users, and also make sure that SCFG doesn't think
    it is a DOS program.

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm not a bigot, I hate everyone.
    thank you sir i will check that.
    ---
    � Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

---
  • From Rixter@VERT/RICKSBBS to Digital Man on Sat Jun 22 21:12:41 2024
    Thank you. All my other doors are running on all nodes now. I used a batch file for each node needed in the door with dorinfo#.def and a %# at the end of the batch file in the execution line and it worked great. Ie start%#.cfg and made the dorinfo file reference match the nodes. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Does trade wars 2002 js version support multiple nodes? We’re do I configure my max node ie 5 the highest node? Is this a registered version that came with bbs? Thank you.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rixter on Sun Jun 23 12:49:09 2024
    By: Rixter to Digital Man on Sat Jun 22 2024 09:12 pm

Thank you. All my other doors are running on all nodes now. I used a batch file for each node needed in the door with dorinfo#.def and a %# at the end of the batch file in the execution line and it worked great. Ie start%#.cfg and made the dorinfo file reference match the nodes. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

That sounds unnecessary. Please paste an example batch file and SCFG config and I'll explain how/why.

Does trade wars 2002 js version support multiple nodes?

Yes. And it's TW2, not "Trade Wars 2002".

We're do I configure my max node ie 5 the highest node?

in SCFG->Nodes.

Is this a registered version that came with bbs? Thank you.

The JavaScript version of Trade Wars that comes with Synchronet is free and open source. There is no "registered version" or "unregistered version".
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #43:
    IBM437 = Code Page 437 (so-called IBM Extended ASCII)
    Norco, CA WX: 94.8øF, 28.0% humidity, 11 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Rixter@VERT/RICKSBBS to Digital Man on Tue Jun 25 09:08:53 2024

That sounds unnecessary. Please paste an example batch file and SCFG config and I'll explain how/why.

in SCFG->Nodes.

thanks that tip on TW2 got me set right. I didn't have it executing the use shell or new context.
    i got all nodes working fine with it. thank you.

the older doors need an independent batch files reflection each node 1-? and i set one up like this called from the scfg execution line
    door%#.bat inside the bat file it reads c:\sbbs\node#\dorinfo#.def your tip on using dorinfo# solved my problem. Thank you!

Thanks that tip on TW2 and the scfg settings for it fixed me up the only one i had different was

The JavaScript version of Trade Wars that comes with Synchronet is free and open source. There is no "registered version" or "unregistered version".
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #43:
    IBM437 = Code Page 437 (so-called IBM Extended ASCII)
    Norco, CA WX: 94.8�F, 28.0% humidity, 11 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    � Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Rixter on Tue Jun 25 11:41:31 2024
    By: Rixter to Digital Man on Tue Jun 25 2024 09:08 am

in SCFG->Nodes.

thanks that tip on TW2 got me set right. I didn't have it executing the use shell or new context.

That setting normally makes very little/no difference when executing JavaScript programs.

i got all nodes working fine with it. thank you.

the older doors need an independent batch files reflection each node 1-? and i set one up like this called from the scfg execution line
    door%#.bat inside the bat file it reads c:\sbbs\node#\dorinfo#.def your tip on using dorinfo# solved my problem. Thank you!

No, a batch file isn't normally needed. "%f" automatically expands to the correct drop file path. You don't need to use %# or a batch file.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #4:
    David St. Hubbins: He died in a bizarre gardening accident...
    Norco, CA WX: 84.3øF, 36.0% humidity, 5 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---