• Message editor

From Ken Nischan@VERT to All on Fri May 31 21:12:11 2024
    Hello!

Just had a question. In the Synchronet text editor, when one is replying to an email, is there a method for quickly deleting lines? I replied to someone who had written like 30 lines of text, and it loaded with their message quoted. I just wanted the last two lines, so I had to hold delete for what felt like an hour lol :D

Is there any shortcuts to delete a line, or even better, to mark a start/end position and delete all within the range?

Thanks!
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 (1:275/89)
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ken Nischan on Fri May 31 22:11:04 2024
    Re: Message editor
    By: Ken Nischan to All on Fri May 31 2024 09:12 pm

Hello!

Just had a question. In the Synchronet text editor, when one is replying to an email, is there a method for quickly deleting lines? I replied to someone who had written like 30 lines of text, and it loaded with their message quoted. I just wanted the last two lines, so I had to hold delete for what felt like an hour lol :D

Is there any shortcuts to delete a line, or even better, to mark a start/end position and delete all within the range?

Thanks!

look at the help for the editor.
    there's multiple editors that can be used with synchronet bbs.
    i use a modified version of fseditor 1.104.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ken Nischan on Sat Jun 1 16:52:02 2024

Hello!

The Synchronet internal message editor supports deleting one line at a time (with the '/d' command). I suggest you use a full-screen message editor (e.g. fseditor.js or SlyEdit) instead for more convenient message editing feature.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #37:
    only the very best... with just a right amount of dirty. - Saul
    Norco, CA WX: 73.8øF, 56.0% humidity, 7 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sat Jun 1 20:07:04 2024
    By: Digital Man to Ken Nischan on Sat Jun 01 2024 04:52 pm

The Synchronet internal message editor supports deleting one line at a time (with the '/d' command). I suggest you use a full-screen message editor (e.g. fseditor.js or SlyEdit) instead for more convenient message editing feature.

his header says he's using wwivedit
    ---
  • From Ken Nischan@VERT to Digital Man on Sun Jun 2 10:00:56 2024
    By: Digital Man to Ken Nischan on Sat Jun 01 2024 04:52 pm

Hello!

Just had a question. In the Synchronet text editor, when one is replying an email, is there a method for quickly deleting lines? I replied to someone who had written like 30 lines of text, and it loaded with their message quoted. I just wanted the last two lines, so I had to hold delet for what felt like an hour lol :D

Is there any shortcuts to delete a line, or even better, to mark a start/ position and delete all within the range?

The Synchronet internal message editor supports deleting one line at a time

Thanks!
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
  • From Fluid@VERT/CRISIS to Ken Nischan on Sun Jun 2 11:10:57 2024

Keep in mind I am new to the modern-BBS scene, and new to the current incarnation of Synchronet. I may be incorrect. ;)

In the default Synchronet editor you can press CTRL-K to read help for hot keys. When you quote someone else's message you use the up and down arrow keys to move to the lines you want to quote, and the spacebar to select which lines you want. They will be marked with an asterisk.

In the CTRL-K help, CTRL-Y is listed as "delete line".

---
    þ Synchronet þ Post "Midlife-crisis" Crisis
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fluid on Sun Jun 2 15:53:35 2024
    By: Fluid to Ken Nischan on Sun Jun 02 2024 11:10 am

In the default Synchronet editor you can press CTRL-K to read help for hot keys. When you quote someone else's message you use the up and down arrow keys to move to the lines you want to quote, and the spacebar to select

what is the default synchronet editor? are you talking about the one when there's no external editors?
    ---
  • From Fluid@VERT to MRO on Sun Jun 2 17:27:48 2024
    By: MRO to Fluid on Sun Jun 02 2024 03:53 pm

what is the default synchronet editor? are you talking about the one when there's no external editors?

Literally whatever the editor is when you first install Synchronet and make no changes.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fluid on Sun Jun 2 20:27:20 2024
    By: Fluid to MRO on Sun Jun 02 2024 05:27 pm

By: MRO to Fluid on Sun Jun 02 2024 03:53 pm

what is the default synchronet editor? are you talking about the one

when
    there's no external editors?

Literally whatever the editor is when you first install Synchronet and

make
    no changes.

So you can't tell me? I installed synchronet 23 years ago.

Your msg header says you are using:
    Editor FSEditor.js v1.105

is this script what you are talking about?

There's also an internal editor for synchronet.

That guy you replied to is using the external editor:
    Editor WWIVEDIT

---
  • From fluid@VERT/CRISIS to MRO on Sun Jun 2 22:35:28 2024
    By: MRO to Fluid on Sun Jun 02 2024 08:27 pm

Do I really need to "tell you" when you can see what it is when I respond? Not sure that is a thing that needs to happen.

Did I also tell you that I was basically "brand new" to Synchronet in it's modern incarnation?

I am not sure I understand the point of anything you are asking here. None of it matters.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Post "Midlife-crisis" Crisis
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to fluid on Sun Jun 2 22:08:22 2024
    By: fluid to MRO on Sun Jun 02 2024 10:35 pm

By: MRO to Fluid on Sun Jun 02 2024 08:27 pm

Do I really need to "tell you" when you can see what it is when I

respond?
    Not sure that is a thing that needs to happen.

well you were being real vague, i just asked you to elaborate.
    and then more words came and you didn't really say anything regarding the editor.

I had to use my commands as a sysop to view the header.

Did I also tell you that I was basically "brand new" to Synchronet in it's modern incarnation?

yeah but if you look down you can fucking see fseditor v1.x right https://i.imgur.com/TpVCIA0.png

I am not sure I understand the point of anything you are asking here.

you were giving a guy help regarding his editor. you said default editor for synchronet and i said what default editor (there's external editors included plus one that isnt external). then you didn't know anything.

None of it matters.

I don't know what you mean by that other than you dont know and don't care. those are great people to be around.

---
  • From Martin Kazmaier@VERT to Ken Nischan on Sat Jun 1 15:08:00 2024
    Hello!

Just had a question. In the Synchronet text editor, when one is replying to an email, is there a method for quickly deleting lines? I replied
    to someone who had written like 30 lines of text, and it loaded
    with their message quoted. I just wanted the last two lines, so I
    had to hold delete for what felt like an hour lol :D

I'm not familiar with that editor, but typically ctrl-Y deletes lines.

--
    Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp,
    ,wss) (Ports 22,23,110,21,119,8080) (ssh login 'bbs' pass 'shsbbs').

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    ---
    * Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPTEST to FLUID on Mon Jun 3 09:04:00 2024

I have had my bbs online since c2007 and don't know what editor my system defaults to, either. I assume it is the "internal synchronet editor." ;)
    No one has complained about the message editor so I've never really had to
    look into it.

* SLMR 2.1a * Paperweights -- The only way to keep bills down.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol City Test System
  • From Fluid@VERT to MRO on Mon Jun 3 08:58:03 2024
    By: MRO to fluid on Sun Jun 02 2024 10:08 pm

well you were being real vague, i just asked you to elaborate.
    and then more words came and you didn't really say anything regarding the editor.

Did I mention that I was being new? Did I mention that it was the "default editor"? I do not know what other editors there are. I do not know what editor he used. Without saying "RTFM nOOB!" in an environment where 99% of it is SysOps I am not interested in running off where very well could be just a user trying out a BBS.

I would rather just try and be helpful across the board. Not everything in this is intuitive. My backspace and delete keys are reversed for whatever reason, just as an example. CTRL-K, which normally deletes a full like brings up a help screen in this.

I am new, but if I can offer any advice that might clue someone else in that also seems new, why not try?

I had to use my commands as a sysop to view the header.

Okay? DO you assume that he or I knows how to do that?

yeah but if you look down you can fucking see fseditor v1.x right https://i.imgur.com/TpVCIA0.png

Stopped reading at "fucking". You can troll and flame someone else.

you were giving a guy help regarding his editor. you said default editor for synchronet and i said what default editor (there's external editors included plus one that isnt external). then you didn't know anything.

What editor is installed on vanilla Synchronet? Why would I, at 2 days in this community (and no I don't care that you have been in it for 26 years, or whatever) would I call the literal editor that is active on a literal fresh installation of Synchronet something other than the default one? Do you think I stopped in the middle of typing to look down at the bottom of the screen to see if a title was down there?

I don't know what you mean by that other than you dont know and don't care. those are great people to be around.

I don't care? You literally said for the guy to read the manual and walked away. ;)

You could not take 30 seconds to "use your Sysop commands" to see what editor it is and given him the answer to the question he asked? I would rather attempt to be helpful.

I am sure you will have plenty to say back. Feel free.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Mon Jun 3 12:37:53 2024
    By: Dumas Walker to FLUID on Mon Jun 03 2024 09:04 am

I have had my bbs online since c2007 and don't know what editor my system defaults to, either. I assume it is the "internal synchronet editor." ;)
    No one has complained about the message editor so I've never really had to look into it.

i'm brand new to synchronet in it's modern incarnation too.
    i havent messed with it in many years. I take forever to update too.

your default editor for the users is in new user values É[þ][?]ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
    º New User Values º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹
    º ³Level 50 º
    º ³Flag Set #1 º
    º ³Flag Set #2 º
    º ³Flag Set #3 º
    º ³Flag Set #4 º
    º ³Exemptions º
    º ³Restrictions º
    º ³Expiration Days 0 º
    º ³Credits 10,485,760 º
    º ³Minutes 0 º
    º ³Editor FSEDITOR º
    º ³Command Shell DEFAULT º
    º ³Download Protocol Z º
    º ³Days of New Messages 0 º
    º ³Gender Options MFX º
    º ³Default Toggles... º
    º ³QWK Packet Settings... º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ

the internal editor isnt bad, either.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fluid on Mon Jun 3 12:42:22 2024
    By: Fluid to MRO on Mon Jun 03 2024 08:58 am

Did I mention that I was being new? Did I mention that it was the "default editor"? I do not know what other editors there are. I do not know what editor he used. Without saying "RTFM nOOB!" in an environment where 99% of it is SysOps I am not interested in running off where very well could be just a user trying out a BBS.

maybe you should read the manual and find out?

I would rather just try and be helpful across the board. Not everything in this is intuitive. My backspace and delete keys are reversed for whatever

how can you be helpful if you don't know anything nor try to know anything.

I am new, but if I can offer any advice that might clue someone else in that also seems new, why not try?

because then you're giving wrong advise.

Stopped reading at "fucking". You can troll and flame someone else.

fuckingggg

you dont read at all, apparently.

I don't care? You literally said for the guy to read the manual and walked away. ;)

where did i say that? i said to look at the help for the editor.
    since you cant read, for the editor you use, it says 'type ctrl-k for help'
    I didn't say to read the manual. there's no *fucking* manual for those things.

You could not take 30 seconds to "use your Sysop commands" to see what editor it is and given him the answer to the question he asked? I would rather attempt to be helpful.

i found out what editor he used. but i did say to use the help command.
    see, i was helpful while you ATTEMPTED to be helpful.

I am sure you will have plenty to say back. Feel free.

I heard midol is on sale at walgreens! go check it out.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Fluid on Mon Jun 3 11:15:29 2024
    By: Fluid to MRO on Mon Jun 03 2024 08:58 am

What editor is installed on vanilla Synchronet?

The message editor choices available to all users in a fresh Synchronet install:
    1. The built-in/internal line editor
    2. Deuce's fseditor.js
    3. Nightfox's slyedit.js (in ICEedit mode)
    4. Nightfox's slyedit.js (in DCTedit mode)
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #65:
    He's got to make his own mistakes and learn to mend the mess he makes
    Norco, CA WX: 61.9øF, 82.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Mon Jun 3 11:17:56 2024
    By: MRO to Fluid on Mon Jun 03 2024 12:42 pm

You do this yourself. Often. <shrug>
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #1:
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
    Norco, CA WX: 61.9øF, 82.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From fluid@VERT/CRISIS to Digital Man on Mon Jun 3 14:22:32 2024
    By: Digital Man to Fluid on Mon Jun 03 2024 11:15 am

The message editor choices available to all users in a fresh Synchronet install:
    2. Deuce's fseditor.js

FSEditor seems to be what you use if you do not make any changes at all to a new installation, unless some of those get chosen based on terminal capabilities. That is good info to have and I appreciate you passing it along.

I will have to give Nightfox's editors a look. This one (FSEditor) gets weird with backspace and delete. Earlier they acted reversed (on your BBS I believe). Here on my own board they are functioning as I would expect. I am not sure why.

Thanks for the good information.

---
    þ Synchronet þ crisis/line úù [ crisisbbs.net ]
  • From Digital Man@VERT to fluid on Mon Jun 3 12:09:44 2024
    By: fluid to Digital Man on Mon Jun 03 2024 02:22 pm

By: Digital Man to Fluid on Mon Jun 03 2024 11:15 am

2. Deuce's fseditor.js

FSEditor seems to be what you use if you do not make any changes at all to a new installation, unless some of those get chosen based on terminal capabilities. That is good info to have and I appreciate you passing it along.

ANSI terminal is required for the external editors (above).

I will have to give Nightfox's editors a look. This one (FSEditor) gets weird with backspace and delete. Earlier they acted reversed (on your BBS I believe). Here on my own board they are functioning as I would expect. I am not sure why.

My SlyEdit install on Vertrauen wasn't up-to-date, so that's now fixed. Backspace/delete reversal is usually the result of using a non-ANSI/BBS terminal. That's probably something already addressed in the latest SlyEdit.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #27:
    Other than Gomey here pees sitting down, here's what we know. - Hank Schrader Norco, CA WX: 63.2øF, 79.0% humidity, 2 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Mon Jun 3 15:52:13 2024
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Mon Jun 03 2024 11:17 am

in that also seems new, why not try?

You do this yourself. Often. <shrug>

If you say so, but the last time i said what worked for me, and it did.
    you disagreed.

I'm not saying i'm never wrong, but I say what i've done and that it worked. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

And you're about 20 years too late to point that out and I've already helped hundreds of people. I never had any complaints from them. I've heard complaints about you and those other synchonet guys, though
    guess nobody is perfect, eh!
    <shrug>

---
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to MRO on Tue Jun 4 10:18:55 2024
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Mon Jun 03 2024 15:52:13

And you're about 20 years too late to point that out and I've already helped > hundreds of people. I never had any complaints from them. I've heard
    complaints about you and those other synchonet guys, though

for such a helpful, likeable guy, you sure you get into a lot of pissing contests.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (bbs.thebrokenbubble.com)
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jun 4 11:54:12 2024
    By: MCMLXXIX to MRO on Tue Jun 04 2024 10:18 am

complaints about you and those other synchonet guys, though

for such a helpful, likeable guy,

It's no secret that a lot of those fidonet guys hate Rob. I think it's unwarranted, for the most part, though. He has been short with people on occasion but that's nothing to cry about.

you sure you get into a lot of pissing contests.

If you got the biggest dick in town you need to defend the title.
    thanks for crawling from under your rock.

---
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to MRO on Tue Jun 4 11:43:04 2024
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Mon Jun 03 2024 15:52:13

And you're about 20 years too late to point that out and I've already helped hundreds of people. I never had any complaints from them. I've heard complaints about you and those other synchonet guys, though guess nobody is perfect, eh!

HAHAHAHAHA! Not only Extremely helpful, But funny too! You're such a perfect specimen of a BBS user. I just don't know what the bbs world would be without you.
    ---
    Tim (kk4qbn)
    +o kk4qbn.synchro.net
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN BBS - kk4qbn.synchro.net - Chatsworth, GA USA
  • From MCMLXXIX@VERT/MDJ to MRO on Tue Jun 4 16:08:12 2024
    By: MRO to MCMLXXIX on Tue Jun 04 2024 11:54:12

If you got the biggest dick in town you need to defend the title.
    thanks for crawling from under your rock.

i don't usually go around comparing, but if that's your thing, it's certainly on brand...

---
    þ Synchronet þ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (bbs.thebrokenbubble.com)
  • From Ken Nischan@VERT to Fluid on Tue Jun 4 17:57:08 2024
    By: Fluid to Ken Nischan on Sun Jun 02 2024 11:10 am

In the default Synchronet editor you can press CTRL-K to read help for hot k
    marked with an asterisk.

Is there any shortcuts to delete a line, or even better, to mark a start/ position and delete all within the range?

Ahh great! Thanks a lot. If only I checked this board before I replied to someone on another where I spent 3 minutes holding delete lol :D
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR to Ken Nischan on Tue Jun 4 21:38:00 2024
    Ken Nischan wrote to Fluid <=-

Ahh great! Thanks a lot. If only I checked this board before I
    replied to someone on another where I spent 3 minutes holding
    delete lol :D

Or, even better, if only you'd LOOKED AT THE SCREEN in the editor and seen
    in the bottom status line where it says "Ctrl-K for help". Eh? <EYEROLL>

... He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Ken Nischan@VERT to Gamgee on Wed Jun 5 08:58:42 2024
    Re: Re: Message editor
    By: Gamgee to Ken Nischan on Tue Jun 04 2024 09:38 pm

Or, even better, if only you'd LOOKED AT THE SCREEN in the editor and seen in the bottom status line where it says "Ctrl-K for help". Eh? <EYEROLL>

https://i.imgur.com/vseOSmZ.png

Yeaaaaaa, that "Ctrl-K for help". Real helpful! If it is actually there heh.

No need to be a sarcastic dick, you could've just hit next and moved on with your day :P
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32