• New (for me) drone

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Fri Sep 1 09:47:23 2023
    Last week, just before leaving fir an island vacation, my wife suggested I bring my drone (a DJI Phantom 3 I got as a Xmas gift from her in 2015) to take awesome airial videos of our adventure. That drone is pretty big and heavy and I hadn't flown it in years and (unbeknownst to me at the time) the battery pack was totally dead (won't charge due to bad battery maintenance). So I said I do it, but only if I could buy a new smaller DJI drone - she relented.

So I rushed over to Costco and purchased whatever DJI drone they had for sale: the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $429. Without opening the box or setting it up or testing anything, I brought it with us and the second day of the vaca, I took it out and flew for the first time. Wow! It was so easy setup and fly and the photos and videos are incredible (both 1080/60 and 4K/30). It weighs less than 250g, which apparently is a magic number these days, so you don't have to register with the FAA or use the RemoteID broadcast/transponder thing. I took it up to 1000ft above sea level and flew over some neighboring islands a few thousand feet away until the video feed started to cut out - but that's way further than I could maintain FPV with my Phantom 3. And everything was just much more slick and quicker/easier to start flying each time. More fun!

As a result, I bought a couple new battery packs for the old Phantom 3, tested it out to make sure it was still working (like new), upgraded the firmware (what a pain in the ass that was) and gifted it to a family friend. I wasn't ever going to be flying that old tank again!

I did buy an extended battery pack (increases max flight time from 38 to 51 minutes), but that also takes you over the 249g weight so the drone starts broadcasting RemoteID (if you care).

I'm thinking of getting the DJI controller with the built-in FPV display (rather than attaching your phone), but other than that upgrade, it's hard to imagine it gets much better. But of course, DJI makes many more feature-full and expensive drones (which I'm sure are awesome), but I don't think they're under 250g. If I were to get another DJI right now, I might consider the DJI Mini 3 Pro (longer range, better collision avoidance, better video), but I'm very happy with the Mini 3.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #10:
    Get a big old raging hard-on at the idea of catching this piece of shit! - Hank Norco, CA WX: 75.6øF, 72.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Fri Sep 1 14:46:27 2023
    Re: New (for me) drone
    By: Digital Man to All on Fri Sep 01 2023 09:47 am

(rather than attaching your phone), but other than that upgrade, it's hard to imagine it gets much better. But of course, DJI makes many more feature-full and expensive drones (which I'm sure are awesome), but I don't think they're under 250g. If I were to get another DJI right now, I might consider the DJI Mini 3 Pro (longer range, better collision avoidance, better video), but I'm very happy with the Mini 3.

i've had a few drones, one pricey one and one mini one that is cool.
    I don't spend much time with them and maybe they arent calibrating correctly, because i always end up crashing them a little or hurting myself when catching them.

i would like to take one up and take a video up high of all the houses in my neighborhood. current drone i have just is too hard for me to operate and goes batty.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Digital Man on Fri Sep 1 12:40:06 2023

the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $42

Thanks for the writeup of your experience with this. Very good to know.

---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Fri Sep 1 13:29:37 2023
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Fri Sep 01 2023 02:46 pm

i've had a few drones, one pricey one and one mini one that is cool.
    I don't spend much time with them and maybe they arent calibrating correctly, because i always end up crashing them a little or hurting myself when catching them.

i would like to take one up and take a video up high of all the houses in my neighborhood. current drone i have just is too hard for me to operate and goes batty.

I've owned probably 5-6 quads/drones so far, a few cheap ones and 2 DJIs. The DJIs are *way* easier to fly, always hover and land easily, harder to crash, and take excellent photos and videos. There's really no comparison. I've given all my old cheap drones away.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #14:
    Karl Childers: Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. Norco, CA WX: 87.4øF, 43.0% humidity, 5 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Fri Sep 1 13:24:41 2023

So I rushed over to Costco and purchased whatever DJI drone they had for sale: the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $429. Without opening the box or setting it up or testing anything, I brought it with us and the second day of the vaca, I took it out and flew for the first time. Wow! It was so easy setup and fly and the photos and videos are incredible (both 1080/60 and 4K/30). It weighs less than 250g, which apparently is a magic number these days, so you don't have to register with the FAA or use the RemoteID broadcast/transponder thing. I took it up to 1000ft above sea level and flew over some neighboring islands a few thousand feet away until the video feed started to cut out - but that's way further than I could maintain FPV with my Phantom 3. And everything was just much more slick and quicker/easier to start flying each time. More fun!

That's cool. I've thought about buying a drone and getting some photos & video, but I haven't really looked into it much yet.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Fri Sep 1 16:27:25 2023
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Fri Sep 01 2023 01:29 pm

I've owned probably 5-6 quads/drones so far, a few cheap ones and 2 DJIs. The DJIs are *way* easier to fly, always hover and land easily, harder to crash, and take excellent photos and videos. There's really no comparison. I've given all my old cheap drones away.

My more expensive one was a dji. that one did land nicely.
    i got it during christmas and flew it in the house. cats did not like it.

i have a 4drc mini drone that i haven't had much time to spend with.
    i already need to buy some new guards for it. they fly right off. https://www.4drc.com/products/4dv4

this one IS a decent beginner drone. i just have been working nights and long hours so i didn't have time to play with it.

and it HURTS when you catch it!

oh look here's a little cute helicopter one https://www.4drc.com/products/4d-l1-mini-reconnaissance-drone
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Sep 1 16:28:14 2023
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Fri Sep 01 2023 01:24 pm

That's cool. I've thought about buying a drone and getting some photos & video, but I haven't really looked into it much yet.

Nightfox

this one is pretty cheap and works decent. you can fly it with your phone.
    you can also watch the vid through your phone and fly it. https://www.4drc.com/products/4dv4
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Fri Sep 1 16:17:52 2023
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Fri Sep 01 2023 04:27 pm

My more expensive one was a dji. that one did land nicely.
    i got it during christmas and flew it in the house. cats did not like it.

Do you remember which DJI model? My DJI Phantom 3 was a big loud sucker. Definitely wouldn't try to fly that in the house.

I had a small (don't remember the Chinese brand) racing drone that I few the house a little bit and it was even louder.

i have a 4drc mini drone that i haven't had much time to spend with.
    i already need to buy some new guards for it. they fly right off. https://www.4drc.com/products/4dv4

I really just fly outside, so no need for guards for me.

this one IS a decent beginner drone. i just have been working nights and long hours so i didn't have time to play with it.

Why do you want to catch it?

oh look here's a little cute helicopter one https://www.4drc.com/products/4d-l1-mini-reconnaissance-drone

I'm always buying my nephews the cheap ones for Christmas gifts. They seem to work okay for short circuits around/above the house for a few months. You get what you pay for. :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #8:
    Derek Smalls: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.
    Norco, CA WX: 81.6øF, 54.0% humidity, 4 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From deon@VERT/ALTERANT to Digital Man on Sat Sep 2 11:00:23 2023
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Fri Sep 01 2023 04:17 pm

Hey DM,

I'm always buying my nephews the cheap ones for Christmas gifts. They seem to work okay for short circuits around/above the house for a few months. You get what you pay for. :-)

Timely right up on the drones. I have a few "points" that I've been looking at using towards a drone. I havent owned one before - I live quite close to a regional airport, and I think there is some no-fly rules (that I do need to find out about). But when I do get it, it'll be used for when we go camping/travelling and the like...

My kids want something as well - so I'm keen to know what you might recommend for a 10-12 year old. Something that I'm sure will be flown a few times, crashed a few times and then forgotten about...

...ëîåï

---
    þ Synchronet þ AnsiTEX bringing back videotex but with ANSI
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Fri Sep 1 22:58:25 2023
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Fri Sep 01 2023 04:17 pm

Why do you want to catch it?

it was going crazy and i didnt want it to hit something and break the blades so i sacrificed my fingers instead.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to deon on Fri Sep 1 23:07:25 2023
    By: deon to Digital Man on Sat Sep 02 2023 11:00 am

months. You get what you pay for. :-)

Timely right up on the drones. I have a few "points" that I've been looking at using towards a drone. I havent owned one before - I live quite close to a regional airport, and I think there is some no-fly rules (that I do need to find out about). But when I do get it, it'll be used for when we go camping/travelling and the like...

really check into that. i used to live next to an airport and i could not fly mine outside.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to All on Sat Sep 2 18:09:39 2023

So I rushed over to Costco and purchased whatever DJI drone they had for sale: the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $429. Without opening the box or setting it up or testing anything, I brought it with us and the second day of the vaca, I took it out and flew for the first time. Wow! It was so easy setup and fly and the photos and videos are incredible (both 1080/60 and 4K/30).

Here's a highlight video of those first few flights with the DJI Mini 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdUXAQJSR4
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #10:
    BSO = Binkley Style Outbound
    Norco, CA WX: 75.5øF, 79.0% humidity, 4 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Sat Sep 2 20:50:58 2023
    By: Digital Man to All on Sat Sep 02 2023 06:09 pm

Here's a highlight video of those first few flights with the DJI Mini 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdUXAQJSR4

That's pretty cool.
    I've visited Belize a couple times, but just Belize City on mainland Belize.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From fusion@VERT/CFBBS to Digital Man on Sun Sep 3 00:44:00 2023
    On 02 Sep 2023, Digital Man said the following...

beautiful place. hopefully you knew the friendly YLs you came upon lol

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Digital Man on Sun Sep 3 06:56:48 2023
    By: Digital Man to All on Sat Sep 02 2023 06:09 pm

I want that.

The video from the drone looks really good, too.

---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR to Digital Man on Sun Sep 3 08:08:00 2023
    Digital Man wrote to All <=-

So I rushed over to Costco and purchased whatever DJI drone they had for sale: the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $429. Without opening the box or setting it up or testing anything, I brought it with us and the second day of the vaca, I took it out and flew for the first time. Wow! It was so easy setup and fly and the photos and videos are incredible (both 1080/60 and 4K/30).

Here's a highlight video of those first few flights with the DJI
    Mini 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdUXAQJSR4

Outstanding! Great quality video, and steady. Wondering if I may need
    to pass this info on to Santa... :-)

... I was wondering why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Digital Man@VERT to fusion on Sun Sep 3 14:09:52 2023
    Re: Re: New (for me) drone
    By: fusion to Digital Man on Sun Sep 03 2023 12:44 am

On 02 Sep 2023, Digital Man said the following...

beautiful place. hopefully you knew the friendly YLs you came upon lol

Yeah, those are my daughters! :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #18:
    CVS = Concurrent Versioning System
    Norco, CA WX: 77.1øF, 61.0% humidity, 10 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Gamgee on Sun Sep 3 15:00:37 2023
    By: Gamgee to Digital Man on Sun Sep 03 2023 08:08 am

Cinematic (C) controller mode helps (limits the speed of movement). If you do get the DJI Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro, I recommend you consider spending a bit more for the remote controller with the built in screen (DJI RC). The combo I got at Costco came with the screen-less controller (RC-N1, you have to mount/attach your smart phone to it), but I wish now that I'd spent a few minutes researching first.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #29:
    Rob Swindell first called BBSes (at 300bps) with an Apple II computer in 1982 Norco, CA WX: 76.3øF, 61.0% humidity, 9 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR to Digital Man on Sun Sep 3 20:10:00 2023
    Digital Man wrote to Gamgee <=-

Cinematic (C) controller mode helps (limits the speed of
    movement). If you do get the DJI Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro, I
    recommend you consider spending a bit more for the remote
    controller with the built in screen (DJI RC). The combo I got at
    Costco came with the screen-less controller (RC-N1, you have to mount/attach your smart phone to it), but I wish now that I'd
    spent a few minutes researching first.

Great info, thanks for passing that on!

... The Fourth Law of Computing: on a slow day, you can wait forever.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Mickey@VERT/INTERSPY to Digital Man on Mon Sep 4 21:12:24 2023
    By: Digital Man to Gamgee on Sun Sep 03 2023 03:00 pm

So I rushed over to Costco and purchased whatever DJI drone they had for sale: the DJI Mini 3 combo (comes with a 64GB SD Card and some ND filters) for $429. Without opening the box or setting it up or testing

I bought one a couple months ago and I've had tons of fun with it. Sent it up into a fire works display. Risky, but the 4K video was awesome.

Mickey

------------
    Mick Manning
    Central Ontario Remote BBS
    centralontarioremote.com:2323

---
    þ Synchronet þ Central Ontario Remote BBS - centralontarioremote.com:2300
  • From candycane@VERT/BTTMLSS to Digital Man on Tue Sep 5 08:52:00 2023
    Costco came with t

NO WAY! A T?

-----------------------------------
    user is generated from /dev/urandom

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to candycane on Tue Sep 5 10:58:19 2023
    By: candycane to Digital Man on Tue Sep 05 2023 08:52 am

Costco came with t

NO WAY! A T?

the message was truncated on your side?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #5:
    Karl Childers (to father): You ought not killed my little brother...
    Norco, CA WX: 71.3øF, 75.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to All on Mon Oct 9 01:50:19 2023

Last week, just before leaving fir an island vacation, my wife suggested I bring my drone (a DJI Phantom 3 I got as a Xmas gift from her in 2015) to take awesome airial videos of our adventure. That drone is pretty big and heavy and I hadn't flown it in years and (unbeknownst to me at the time) the battery pack was totally dead (won't charge due to bad battery maintenance). So I said I do it, but only if I could buy a new smaller DJI drone - she relented.

So I brought the new drone to Mo'orea for our next vacation (wedding anniversary and wife's birthday celebration) and well...
    it didn't come back with me. :-(
    https://youtu.be/NhhVuSZ6hvg
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #2:
    We flipped a coin, OK? You and me. You and me! Coin flip is sacred! - Jesse Norco, CA WX: 70.0øF, 59.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From The Lizard Master@VERT/NITEEYES to Digital Man on Mon Oct 9 07:50:06 2023
    By: Digital Man to All on Mon Oct 09 2023 01:50 am

So I brought the new drone to Mo'orea for our next vacation (wedding anniversary and wife's birthday celebration) and well...

Not sure if his fishing was illegal, but I'm pretty sure shooting one out of the sky is!

---TLM

---
    þ Synchronet þ I filled this out to keep people from complaining...
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Mon Oct 9 15:44:21 2023

i couldn't see this ending any other way, really.
    if someone is signaling for help they usually do an on-off pattern.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Mon Oct 9 15:44:19 2023
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Mon Oct 09 2023 03:44 pm

i couldn't see this ending any other way, really.
    if someone is signaling for help they usually do an on-off pattern.

From the shore, that's exactly what is looked like: an on-off pattern, due to waves or obstructions or whatever. It looked like someone was trying to signal the houses *or* frantically searching for something in the water. From the drone's perspective it looked more like a search light, but I certainly didn't guess it was a night spearfisherman. But I was flying too low, obviously.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #19:
    Doyle: I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget
    Norco, CA WX: 82.5øF, 40.0% humidity, 9 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Charles Blackburn@VERT/THEFBO to The Lizard Master on Mon Oct 9 18:14:00 2023
    On Mon Oct 9 07:50:00 2023, The Lizard Master wrote to Digital Man <=-

Not sure if his fishing was illegal, but I'm pretty sure shooting one out of the sky is!

Yup, definately is if you can prove it... same penalties as shooting at a manned aircraft :D

The problem is getting them to even be bothered about it.

Charlie
    The FBO BBS - bbs.thefbo.us:2323 - IPv4/6

... BBSing, the 'Electronic High'
    === TitanMail/linux v1.2.3

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Digital Man on Tue Oct 10 08:51:00 2023
    Hello Digital Man!

** On Monday 09.10.23 - 15:44, Digital Man wrote to MRO:

.. but I certainly didn't guess it was a night
    spearfisherman. But I was flying too low, obviously. --

Yup.. probably way too close to another human being (aren't
    there regulations for that?) and for too long. As soon as you
    ascertained there was no emergency you should have scooted out
    of there.

--
    ../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ogg on Tue Oct 10 18:25:15 2023
    By: Ogg to Digital Man on Tue Oct 10 2023 08:51 am

Hello Digital Man!

** On Monday 09.10.23 - 15:44, Digital Man wrote to MRO:

.. but I certainly didn't guess it was a night
    spearfisherman. But I was flying too low, obviously. --

Yup.. probably way too close to another human being (aren't
    there regulations for that?) and for too long. As soon as you
    ascertained there was no emergency you should have scooted out
    of there.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #12:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, I don't know - wh-wh-... what're the hours?
    Norco, CA WX: 67.6øF, 75.0% humidity, 1 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to All on Mon Oct 30 17:57:19 2023

I filed a "fly away" report with DJI, not claiming it was their fault in any way. They looked at the report (complete with video, telemetry data) and agreed to give me 40% off the purchase of a replacement DJI 3. Since I was already planning on rplacing the DJI 3 with a DJI Mini 4 Pro, they're applying the discount ($200) to the purchase of a Mini 4 pro. DJI is a pretty cool company for doing that!
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #54:
    The Synchronet source code consists of over 500,000 lines of C and C++
    Norco, CA WX: 73.2øF, 9.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Tue Oct 31 01:17:28 2023
    By: Digital Man to All on Mon Oct 30 2023 05:57 pm

I filed a "fly away" report with DJI, not claiming it was their fault in any way. They looked at the report (complete with video, telemetry data) and agreed to give me 40% off the purchase of a replacement DJI 3. Since I was already planning on rplacing the DJI 3 with a DJI Mini 4 Pro, they're applying the discount ($200) to the purchase of a Mini 4 pro. DJI is a pretty cool company for doing that!

did they see the video of the guy nailing it?
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Tue Oct 31 10:57:45 2023
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Tue Oct 31 2023 01:17 am

Indeed. And I explained exactly what happened. This was their (accurate) conclusion: "According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product issue. The aircraft cannot detect or avoid any obstacles. Please fly with caution."

Other models (e.g. DJI Mini 3 Pro) *can* detect and avoid obstacles, so I wonder if they would have given me an even bigger discount on a new drone if it were one of those models.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #79:
    SyncEdit = A defunct 3rd party full-screen editor written for Synchronet
    Norco, CA WX: 76.7øF, 10.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Wed Nov 1 05:09:06 2023
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Tue Oct 31 2023 10:57 am

By: MRO to Digital Man on Tue Oct 31 2023 01:17 am

Indeed. And I explained exactly what happened. This was their (accurate) conclusion: "According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product issue. The aircraft cannot detect or avoid any obstacles. Please fly with caution."

hahah. i guess them giving you a discount is to keep your business.
    amazon does that a lot too.
    ---