• self checkouts again

From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to All on Wed Dec 27 08:58:37 2023
    okay you guys that claim you only use self checkouts because you are saving jobs are liars. you dont shop. your wife does.

i've been using regular checkout lanes for the past 2 weeks. it's been pure hell. it's 10x longer literally. even if there's no line. the people are usually stupid and there's some weird problem.

today she voided his bananas wrong. then she gets another guy over. he doesnt know what to do. Then she gets a younger kid mgr who knows her shit. she fixes it.

They still stand around for serveral mins talking about it but not checking the guy out or me out. and i say, should i go to the other lane or stay here? and she says she doesn't know. the problem is fixed! she's just not working. so me and this dude had to sit there for a long time while they talked. and then i went ot the other lane and waited. even more time to get out.

with self checkout it's a 2 min thing.

Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
    maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to MRO on Wed Dec 27 16:40:53 2023
    Re: self checkouts again
    By: MRO to All on Wed Dec 27 2023 08:58 am

All of the above in your post, but to the end result of this. Self check, for people who actually have half a clue how to use it, is such an effecient method I never want to go back to needing someone else in the process. It just seems asanine to me to go back to a regular setup unless you need some kind of special service that for whatever reason explicitly needs another person involved.
    _____
    xadara.com | final-zone.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ final-zone.net
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to MRO on Wed Dec 27 14:42:19 2023
    Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
    maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.

Not paying a living wage, cutting back as much as possible on expenses (self-checkout), "holiday blah's", serious bout of flu going around (at least in NorCal) [and covid] and name whatever crazy thing that's not too crazy if you think about it, and you got a recipe for a messed up shopping experience.

I live near Santa Cruz which for the last few years has been watching the cost-of-living skyrocket due to being close to all that tech. People working from home, can afford a place close to the beach has driven housing thru the roof, and driven out people that have lived there the longest, you know, renters, people that work service jobs, etc. kids aren't stepping up to take these jobs because the pay is so horrible, so there's an employment vacuum and as a result a ton of local businesses who've been around for decades are closing because no one wants to buy local when Amazon is a click away and they can't compete on pricing, obviously.

People that live comfortably are voting down low-income housing (NIMBYers) because we can't have those kinds around, but now all the Starbucks are closing, "Oh who will make my $7 Latte's?"

At some point either people will get the message and start treating service (and low/middle income) people like normal people, or Tsunami and duck all of them. (Sorry poindexter F., hope you're not too close to the beach)

---
    ï¿­ Synchronet ï¿­ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to MRO on Wed Dec 27 18:15:00 2023
    okay you guys that claim you only use self checkouts because you are saving jobs are liars. you dont shop. your wife does.

i've been using regular checkout lanes for the past 2 weeks. it's been pure hell. it's 10x longer literally. even if there's no line. the people are usually stupid and there's some weird problem.

today she voided his bananas wrong. then she gets another guy over. he doesnt know what to do. Then she gets a younger kid mgr who knows her shit. she fixes it.

They still stand around for serveral mins talking about it but not checking the guy out or me out. and i say, should i go to the other
    lane or stay here? and she says she doesn't know. the problem is fixed! she's just not working. so me and this dude had to sit there for a long time while they talked. and then i went ot the other lane and waited. even more time to get out.

And, I can't pay 'garbonzo bean' prices for my coffee. :P Shhhhh.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Thu Dec 28 02:43:36 2023
    By: Android8675 to MRO on Wed Dec 27 2023 02:42 pm

Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid? maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.

Not paying a living wage, cutting back as much as possible on expenses (self-checkout), "holiday blah's", serious bout of flu going around (at least in NorCal) [and covid] and name whatever crazy thing that's not too crazy if you think about it, and you got a recipe for a messed up shopping experience.

it's their choice to get those low paying jobs. if you are 30+ and getting an 11 hr job when you can make more than twice that in other entry lvl jobs that is pretty sad. That being said, I did go to highschool with a guy who worked at the same store through highschool, never left and was there over 20 years. He ended up being in a managment position there and he made real good money.

People that live comfortably are voting down low-income housing (NIMBYers) because we can't have those kinds around, but now all the Starbucks are closing, "Oh who will make my $7 Latte's?"

Well i've seen low income housing destroy areas. i've seen it personally.

At some point either people will get the message and start treating service (and low/middle income) people like normal people, or Tsunami and duck all

In my area we treat people all the same. i dont look down on service people. Waiters and waitresses make good money. AND, they can lie about their tips and not pay taxes.

I come from a poor upbringing; i had a single mom. I've been in manufacturing my entire life as well.

Obviously california has its issues and maybe people need to continue to leave. I'm hoping their problems don't carry over to other states.
    ---
  • From fusion@VERT/CFBBS to Kurisu on Thu Dec 28 11:42:00 2023
    On 27 Dec 2023, Kurisu said the following...

All of the above in your post, but to the end result of this. Self
    check, for people who actually have half a clue how to use it, is such
    an effecient method I never want to go back to needing someone else in
    the process. It just seems asanine to me to go back to a regular setup unless you need some kind of special service that for whatever reason explicitly needs another person involved.

tbh i have a better experience at Aldi, with their employees sitting on a stool ringing up 100 items in about a minute than any of the self checkout stores i've been to.. and i end up bagging my own stuff anyways.

i also continuously have great experiences at checkout at.. the dollar store. no self checkout, continuously fast. and that place gets extremely busy..

i feel like you've normalized a crummy experience that is the fault of management and the store's culture and not a fault with regular checkout.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Thu Dec 28 09:09:00 2023

When they have enough of them open. Since it is self-check, I have never figured out why our local grocery (Kroger) only has less-than half of them open. They have 11 total, but only 5 are ever open when I am there.

The lines are as bad as the one or two regular lanes they have open, but I still self-check.

The local Wal-Mart, OTOH, never had their self-check lanes half-closed.

* SLMR 2.1a * He knows changes aren't permanent - but change is!

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to fusion on Thu Dec 28 11:35:34 2023
    Re: Re: self checkouts again
    By: fusion to Kurisu on Thu Dec 28 2023 11:42 am

i feel like you've normalized a crummy experience that is the fault of management and the store's culture and not a fault with regular checkout.

Fair.

Aldi does a good job in providing comforts which certainly help keep the cashier in a better mood. I too generally have better experiences at more basic places, as compared to the typical grocery / big box madness, but that's I think due to things generally being lower volume at even a place that may still seem "busy" like a dollar store. It's still usually less stuff than the mass of groceries in every cart.

What I'm getting at is that it seems almost intrinsic that at a point a positive checkout experience just begins to break down, and that somewhere near that point I, like many others, would rather just do it myself.

Or somewthing like that...
    _____
    xadara.com | final-zone.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ final-zone.net
  • From The Godfather@VERT/UNDERGRO to MRO on Thu Dec 28 19:39:00 2023
    They still stand around for serveral mins talking about it but not checking the guy out or me out. and i say, should i go to the other
    lane or stay here? and she says she doesn't know. the problem is fixed! she's just not working. so me and this dude had to sit there for a long time while they talked. and then i went ot the other lane and waited. even more time to get out.
    Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid? maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.

In hourly wage speak, this is called "milking the clock" in which you supported, giving them more hours without them having to work harder, therefore going all in on supporting the keeping a job.

I avoid self check out, even moreso now that they look like corrals for sheep, and some stores using biometrics for purchasing. I particularly hate the idea of the small counter provided to place a family of 5's weeks supply of food on while trying to do their job for them -- ring and bag the groceries. I remember being promised saving money if we rang it ourselves, but then bacon went over $9 per package and I decided I wanted the full experience if they're f'ing with the price of bacon. I think it was then, I quit bringing my own bags, grabbing the grocery carts out of the parking lot to get my quarter back, and checking out the groceries myself. I consider the stupidity and hilarity of some of the cashiers to be added entertainment to that experience now -- then again, I avoid grocery stores on the weekends which makes the overall experience less time consuming.

The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft, shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of blood; single moms, high schoolers, out of retirement to afford this economy, handicap, and white Christians will have to suffice as those serving as cashiers ;)

|15-|12t|04G
    |15www|08.|15theun|07dergrou|08nd|07.|08us|15:|0810023

... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Godfather on Thu Dec 28 18:43:44 2023
    By: The Godfather to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 07:39 pm

the groceries. I remember being promised saving money if we rang it ourselves, but then bacon went over $9 per package and I decided I wanted the full experience if they're f'ing with the price of bacon. I think it was then, I quit bringing my own bags, grabbing the grocery carts out of the parking lot to get my quarter back, and checking out the groceries myself. I consider the stupidity and hilarity of some of the cashiers to be added entertainment to that experience now

Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to fusion on Fri Dec 29 07:05:49 2023
    By: fusion to Kurisu on Thu Dec 28 2023 11:42 am

tbh i have a better experience at Aldi, with their employees sitting on a stool ringing up 100 items in about a minute than any of the self checkout stores i've been to.. and i end up bagging my own stuff anyways.

that's a totally different world though, dude. they are designed to
    get you checked out and get you the hell out of there.
    also they pay the checkout people decent pay.

i also continuously have great experiences at checkout at.. the dollar store. no self checkout, continuously fast. and that place gets extremely busy..

do you mean dollar tree? that depends on the place. they are supposed to
    have another person jump on another register when things get backed up. if they don't do it, the line sucks due to the people in the line being the bottle neck.

nothing beats self checkout.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Fri Dec 29 07:26:29 2023
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 09:09 am

When they have enough of them open. Since it is self-check, I have never figured out why our local grocery (Kroger) only has less-than half of them open. They have 11 total, but only 5 are ever open when I am there.

yeah same here. they have people standing around talking but they
    won't put someone on the other section for self checkout. they only
    run one side.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Godfather on Fri Dec 29 07:29:52 2023
    By: The Godfather to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 07:39 pm

In hourly wage speak, this is called "milking the clock" in which you supported, giving them more hours without them having to work harder, therefore going all in on supporting the keeping a job.

no they dont work more hours. they just work like old people screw.

The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft, shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of

well they have advanced technology so it can catch people. also they have someone there with a handheld that can see what you are ringing up.

the entire process is being recorded so if someone is doing some bullshit the camera can catch it if it's rigged to do so.
    ---
  • From The Godfather@VERT/UNDERGRO to Nightfox on Fri Dec 29 08:42:00 2023
    Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by
    using the self-checkout.

Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release. Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations
    more productive. Both statements were true to the corporation: cashiers being axed was a cost savings, while PC's allowed employers to increase workloads without increasing hours. Neither really benefited the end user nearly as broadly as an end user would have thought. In my example, I am a family of 5 and self checkouts are extremely inconvenient.

using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

Nor have I. On the contrary what I was saying was a list of examples of people who need those jobs and why I don't mind the wait, even if one is a bit quirky and or I have to wait a bit longer. It beats doing their job for them for no pay nor savings on groceries, and as a side benefit it gives people in need a job.

|15-|12t|04G

... This virus requires Microsoft Windows 3.x
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Fri Dec 29 09:22:00 2023
    Nightfox wrote to The Godfather <=-

using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

My only problem is with Safeway. I usually end up getting the floor
    supervisor ringing my items up, and he/she is tied up with people asking
    for their breaks and scheduling, and not what they're ringing up.

The last time I went there, the cashier was so busy with all that they
    didn't even speak a word to me.

I rarely go there these days. I'd rather vote with my dollars.

... Don't give Chad a big neural network
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Godfather on Fri Dec 29 12:28:30 2023
    By: The Godfather to Nightfox on Fri Dec 29 2023 08:42 am

Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by using the self-checkout.

Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release. Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations

never heard of it.
    how would we save money?

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Dec 29 11:15:25 2023
    By: MRO to The Godfather on Fri Dec 29 2023 12:28 pm

using the self-checkout.

Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you
    that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release.
    Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations

never heard of it.
    how would we save money?

Persumably, having self-checkout would mean fewer cashiers the store has to pay, resulting in lower prices (or possibly a credit when using self-checkout). But that doesn't seem to actually happen..

Nightfox

---
  • From hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 to MRO on Fri Dec 29 13:31:00 2023
    nothing beats self checkout.

It all depends on the size of the store.

I fancy self checkout in bigger groceries (Aldi/LIDL size minimum), but I also enjoy human driven in smaller stores. I totally don't get the idea of Amazon self-service stores. I was totally confused encountering one in London Wembley last summer. I couldn't even enter the store without installing some damn app. I said to the security guy at the front that I don't want any app just to buy a damn bottle of watter. He tried to be nice and offered help, but I said that I'll find another store faster than bother about this whole thing.

For stores with just one-two check outs and capacity to cover maybe 20-50 people, self checkout makes not much difference to me.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Dec 30 08:06:23 2023
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Dec 29 2023 11:15 am

never heard of it.
    how would we save money?

Persumably, having self-checkout would mean fewer cashiers the store has to pay, resulting in lower prices (or possibly a credit when using self-checkout). But that doesn't seem to actually happen..

sounds like something someone made up. no way would we get lower prices. those people dont even get paid that much. over by me they make 11.80/hr. anybody can get a 20+ hr job with no experience someplace else.
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to THE GODFATHER on Sat Dec 30 10:47:00 2023
    The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward
    Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft, shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of

Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for
    theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same
    places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

* SLMR 2.1a * Southern Serves the South

---
  • From hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 13:19:00 2023
    Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas
    where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

shoplifters get into stores regardless of checkout system.

In my area most of the issues are related more toward cheating than stealing. Value-wise may be the same, but still it's more about getting premium tomatoes and charging cheapest available, same with bread and many fruits. people just select the cheapest option and nobody verifies that.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to hollowone on Sat Dec 30 14:18:19 2023
    By: hollowone to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 2023 01:19 pm

Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for

shoplifters get into stores regardless of checkout system.

Getting into the stores isn't the issue with self-checkout and shoplifting. The issue is that self-checkout can make it easier for customers to steal things because there may be fewer "eyes" watching self-checkout customers. Stores have to have someone monitor self-checkout, either by standing in the self-checkout area or using a camera and having someone watch the screen.

Nightfox

---
  • From The Godfather@VERT/UNDERGRO to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 17:38:00 2023
    Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas
    where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

I don't recall saying that self checkouts "cause" theft?

Walmarts decision for switching to add more cashiers was that too often people are not ringing some but not all items within their cart, beit intentional or not, which adds to the overall shrinkage of the store.

|15-|12t|04G

... Old computers make great boat anchors
  • From Shadow42085@VERT/PALANTIR to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 23:11:40 2023
    By: The Godfather to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 2023 05:38 pm

actually my local Wal-Mart just reduced cashier lanes recently here in Indiana but then of course this is not oregon/california/New York where crime rate are through the roof and most peope here are not crazy and full of themselves yet (KNOCK ON WOOD) thats my 2 cents

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR to The Godfather on Sun Dec 31 07:58:00 2023
    The Godfather wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

You may not recall it, but you did. Here's the exact quote:

The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft, shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without

That was in a message from you to 'MRO', dated 28Dec2023 in this message
    area.

<SHRUG>

... Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sun Dec 31 09:57:00 2023
    Nightfox wrote to hollowone <=-

Getting into the stores isn't the issue with self-checkout and shoplifting. The issue is that self-checkout can make it easier for customers to steal things because there may be fewer "eyes" watching self-checkout customers. Stores have to have someone monitor self-checkout, either by standing in the self-checkout area or using a camera and having someone watch the screen.

I have no empathy for retailers. I'm sure someone did the numbers and determined that less cashiers + more loss means more profit than hiring
    more cashiers to ring up customers. Any complaints are self-serving at
    best and playing both sides of the issue.

If anything, "theft" is being used to close underperforming stores in lower-income areas. Target was exposed for doing just that - closing
    stores in lower-income areas of a city when theft was higher in other
    stores that remained open.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Shadow42085 on Sun Dec 31 10:00:00 2023
    Shadow42085 wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

actually my local Wal-Mart just reduced cashier lanes recently here in Indiana but then of course this is not oregon/california/New York where crime rate are through the roof

<SARCASM>
    Yes, because the entirety of all of those states have the crime rate of
    an urban inner city. </SARCASM>

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Sun Dec 31 12:15:36 2023
    By: Dumas Walker to THE GODFATHER on Sat Dec 30 2023 10:47 am

Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

many years ago i had a side job stocking kmart on nights.
    the primary area where theft happens is the bathroom. they take shit in there, mess with it and walk out. they might even eat the food in there.

they take shit out of the packaging and then they put it on their person.
    they do that many pants and shirt shit.

i dont think self checkout has much theft. aside from people having stuff under the cart and not scanning it. that was a thing my ex did all the time.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Godfather on Sun Dec 31 12:26:31 2023

Walmarts decision for switching to add more cashiers was that too often people are not ringing some but not all items within their cart, beit intentional or not, which adds to the overall shrinkage of the store.

where the shit is this happening? not happening at any walmart i have
    ever seen.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Shadow42085 on Sun Dec 31 12:27:22 2023
    By: Shadow42085 to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 2023 11:11 pm

actually my local Wal-Mart just reduced cashier lanes recently here in Indiana but then of course this is not oregon/california/New York where crime rate are through the roof and most peope here are not crazy and full of themselves yet (KNOCK ON WOOD) thats my 2 cents

every walmart near me has like 60 checkout lines. closed. 2 lines open
    with casheer. then on opposite ends a self checkout.
    how they have spark drivers so they have a checkout just for them.
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to SHADOW42085 on Sun Dec 31 09:55:00 2023

actually my local Wal-Mart just reduced cashier lanes recently here in Indiana
    ut then of course this is not oregon/california/New York where crime rate are rough the roof and most peope here are not crazy and full of themselves yet (K
    CK ON WOOD) thats my 2 cents

I think the move to more cashiers is in places where theft is a bigger
    issue, and in places where prosecutors have decided to no longer go after shoplifters.

* SLMR 2.1a * It's time for the Possum Lodge Word Game!!!

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to THE GODFATHER on Sun Dec 31 10:15:00 2023
    Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

I got the idea you did from this quote in another message:

The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward
    Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft,

Maybe it was mis-attributed?

Walmarts decision for switching to add more cashiers was that too often people
    re not ringing some but not all items within their cart, beit intentional or n
    , which adds to the overall shrinkage of the store.

They don't seem to be switching them here, yet.

* SLMR 2.1a * "­Beavis! ¨Donde esta su hall pass?"

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Dec 31 13:53:57 2023
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Shadow42085 on Sun Dec 31 2023 10:00 am

Shadow42085 wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

actually my local Wal-Mart just reduced cashier lanes recently here in Indiana but then of course this is not oregon/california/New York where crime rate are through the roof

<SARCASM>
    Yes, because the entirety of all of those states have the crime rate of
    an urban inner city. </SARCASM>

yeah walmart and walgreens are pulling out of california and oregon and other areas because they're racist! that is totally why.
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Dec 31 12:56:24 2023
    By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Dec 31 2023 01:53 pm

yeah walmart and walgreens are pulling out of california and oregon and other areas because they're racist! that is totally why.

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the state. They've closed stores in Portland, but not the whole state of Oregon.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Mon Jan 1 03:37:15 2024
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sun Dec 31 2023 12:56 pm

By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Dec 31 2023 01:53 pm

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the state. They've closed stores in Portland, but not the whole state of Oregon.

and why did they close those stores?
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Mon Jan 1 10:45:00 2024

many years ago i had a side job stocking kmart on nights.
    the primary area where theft happens is the bathroom. they take shit in there
    mess with it and walk out. they might even eat the food in there.

they take shit out of the packaging and then they put it on their person. they do that many pants and shirt shit.

I worked at a Target for a while back in the late 1980's. One thing we had there that the local KMart did not... the restrooms were on the "outside"
    of the checkout area only. They could find other places, like the dressing rooms, to meddle with packaging though.

Aside from junk food, we didn't have much of a grocery back then.

i dont think self checkout has much theft. aside from people having stuff unde
    the cart and not scanning it. that was a thing my ex did all the time.

I don't either. The one difference, though, is that the self-check in some stores has lead to more wide-open areas for "customers" to leave through without any barriers. There are also fewer people around the checkout area
    and exit to stop them from doing so.

In Walmart, you have to go through a maze of sorts to get through most of
    the self-check lanes. In Kroger, you can breeze right through them.

However, I don't think this is really a big deal in areas that are not
    already having issues with shoplifting, and that don't have a DA who has decided to stop prosecuting such crime.

* SLMR 2.1a * Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Mon Jan 1 11:51:52 2024
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Mon Jan 01 2024 03:37 am

yeah walmart and walgreens are pulling out of california and oregon
    and other areas because they're racist! that is totally why.

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the state.
    They've closed stores in Portland, but not the whole state of Oregon.

Because of vandalism, damage done to buildings (especially in the last few years), etc., especially in more dangerous parts of Portland where people might not want to be in.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Jan 2 03:00:42 2024
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Mon Jan 01 2024 11:51 am

By: MRO to Nightfox on Mon Jan 01 2024 03:37 am

and other areas because they're racist! that is totally why.

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the state.
    They've closed stores in Portland, but not the whole state of Oregon.

Because of vandalism, damage done to buildings (especially in the last few years), etc., especially in more dangerous parts of Portland where people might not want to be in.

oh my word! *clutches pearls*
    ---
  • From Shadow42085@VERT/PALANTIR to Dumas Walker on Tue Jan 2 05:36:21 2024
    By: Dumas Walker to SHADOW42085 on Sun Dec 31 2023 09:55 am

well there are other reasons even I dont know what goes on in those mega-corps upper mangement heads but other than adding more cashiers or people in the front to keep an eye for shoplifters. Is to put a security tab on every item but thats impossible for alot of items plus that would be a logistical and costly nightmare, or do like alot of the high crime rate riddled cities stores did put them under lock and key and you have to get a SR to open the case to get the items. But thats another costly both in the cases and employees plus the chance the employee rips of the store themselves really a fucked up mess this has become but it will continue to get worse before it gets better anyway I am done with this later ya all.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tue Jan 2 09:38:53 2024
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Tue Jan 02 2024 03:00 am

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the
    state.

Because of vandalism, damage done to buildings (especially in the last few

Yes, that happens in parts of Portland. At any rate, as far as I know, they haven't pulled out of the entire state of Oregon, as you seemed to suggest; it's just Portland.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Jan 2 13:31:41 2024
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Tue Jan 02 2024 09:38 am

I live in Oregon and haven't heard of either one pulling out of the
    state.

Because of vandalism, damage done to buildings (especially in the last few

Yes, that happens in parts of Portland. At any rate, as far as I know, they haven't pulled out of the entire state of Oregon, as you seemed to suggest; it's just Portland.

i didnt suggest the entire state. i just said they are pulling out of california and oregon. in california they said it's because of organized retail theft(san francisco).
    ---