• Internet Rex and Debian Linux

From RJ Clay@1:120/544 to Roy Witt on Mon Apr 28 15:09:58 2025
    Roy,

27 Sep 12 23:08, you wrote to me:

After not having it running for quite awhile I decided to try
    setting it up again, so installed the Linux version of it on a
    virtual machine running Debian v4 ('Woody').

Sorry; 'Woody' was actually v3...

Debian does present a problem.

Depends on the version... As you many not be aware; Debian Woody (v3) was released in 2002 (and later superceded in 2005) and therefore uses the older versions of the standard C libraries. Which, IIRC, was the issue with running IRex on Linux systems...

Most Linux users have probably given up on using IREX by now.

Not surprisingly, but I'd like to have it running again; both for the capabilities my systems don't currently have and as a reference point for those capabilities.

Jame

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20110213
    * Origin: ftn.rocasa.net (1:120/544)
  • From Nick Andre@1:123/57 to Roy Witt on Wed Jun 7 15:11:52 2028

On 01 Oct 12 17:45:28, Roy Witt said the following to Nicholas Boel:

I agree with that, but I'm in no position to 'talk' him into releasing
    the source. I'd discourage anyone from registering irex and just persue using the unregistered version or looking into offering to buy someone else's key. This isn't anything new, as I was given a key generator for FastEcho 1.46 which can open that program for max use...

I was a fan of Irex for a long time in the late 90's I think it was, and bought a 50 or 100-node license for it, I forget which. Pretty sure it
    was the 100 node one. Money wasn't so much the issue as it was "unlocking" its limitation. Sure I could hex-edit the thing, but went with the honourable approach. And I bought my key I think two years after Charles went AWOL.

When I did the work that I did to DB, I transferred my license to a fellow Sysop who makes good use of it to this day. I got the momentary warm-and-fuzzy-feeling of doing a good deed for someone "in need".

If Charles would at least program a key-generator, it would at least put the whole continuing-to-charge-$ discussion/arguments to rest. Or at least some sort of disclaimer indicating that the product is sold as-is with no more official support from the author.

I think there were rumors here that he "lost" the source code, which I find a bit hard to believe as that was a very large project to -not- have backups of the source code for, and a project that brought in a nice amount of $$$.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    # Origin: www.darkrealms.ca (1:229/426)
    * Origin: Eye Of the Hurricane BBS (eoth.dyndns.org) (1:123/57)